Labor Supervisor of Stormwater(Best Maintenance Practices)An Overview
A Labor Supervisor provides supervision to a group of laborers and/or Equipment Operators engaged in general maintenance and repair work. An employee in this class assigns, inspects, and evaluates the work of skilled, semiskilled, or unskilled workers in a variety of settings in the performance of a wide variety of tasks. The Superintendent assigns areas of work and standards to be met in detail, and the work performed is checked in process and upon completion.The opportunity
About the Department
- Supervises the clearing of natural and man-made debris from stream beds, culverts, and drainage ditches.
- Train and develop staff in the excavation, and repair of the storm sewer system as well as confined space entries
- Attend meetings to plan, and coordinate between multiple stakeholders
- Keep track of equipment, labor, and materials used for every task as assigned
- Plans, Coordinates, and directs daily operation
- Communicate the needs of the team to management
- Write scope of work letters to submit for cost proposals from vendors/contractors
- Performs other duties as assigned
The Department of Transportation and Environmental Services (T&ES) strives to improve the overall quality of life within the city of Alexandria through the development of a superior infrastructure. To contribute to the physical, social, and economic growth of the City of Alexandria, the T&ES employee team provides services of the highest quality in the areas of engineering, environmental quality, traffic control, transit, construction and inspection, surveying, street, sewer, and fire hydrant maintenanceMinimum & Additional Requirements
To qualify for this position, all candidates must possess a High School Diploma or GED; three years of experience as a Laborer III or Equipment Operator; or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Some employees in this class, depending on area of assignment, must possess a valid Commercial Driver's License (CDL), issued by the state of residence, with the proper endorsement for the vehicle being driven within six (6) months of appointment.Preferred Qualifications
To be considered an ideal candidate one should possess the minimum requirements as well as at least two years of supervisory experience with emphasis on preventative maintenance measures for multiple storm water conveyance systems along with maintenance procedures. Knowledge of the various types of stormwater treatment devices and the methods of maintenance for each. Notes
A DOT physical and drug test may be required.