Position Number: 126097
Payroll Title: Coordinator
Functional Title: ACES Career Readiness Coordinator
Category: Exempt, Contingent II
Location: The Universities at Shady Grove, Rockville, MD 20850
Posting Date: 01/12/2022
Closing Date: 02/11/2022
Achieving Collegiate Excellence and Success (ACES) is a partnership between the Universities at Shady Grove (USG), Montgomery County Public Schools (MCPS), and Montgomery College(MC) to increase baccalaureate degree attainment and career-readiness among underrepresented students, especially African American and Hispanic youth.
This position is necessary to provide career readiness programming and support for students along the Montgomery County ACES educational pathway. The Coordinator will organize programming and assist ACES students at Montgomery County Public High Schools in integrating classroom studies with continuous and progressive career-related workshops based on the NACE career competencies and work experiences such as job-shadowing, internships, mentoring, and apprenticeships, with a special emphasis on STEM pathways and careers.
Additionally, the Coordinator will collaborate with ACES academic coaches and staff at MCPS, MC, and USG to provide career readiness training, quality career coaching, and career experiences to students as they progress along the ACES Pathway. The coordinator will also manage resources provided from each of the partner institutions, employers, and the community that are designed to specifically assist ACES high school students.
▪ Bachelor’s degree required.
▪ Two years of professional, full-time equivalent experience related to coaching and/or counseling of diverse youth population and experience providing career-readiness related programming and career exploration guidance.
▪ Master’s degree preferred in Higher Education Administration, Counseling, Human Resources, Business or a closely related field;
▪ Career coaching certification by NACE, PARW/CC, NCDA or other professionally recognized certifying agency.
▪ Previous professional experience and knowledge of the Montgomery County and State of Maryland regional business communities preferred;
▪ Professional experience obtained at the University System of Maryland, its partner institutions, and/or regional higher education centers highly preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
▪ Direct service delivery experience working with youth population;
▪ Experience working with students, faculty, employers and community organizations in identifying available job opportunities, internships and career experiences; ▪ Experience in facilitating workshops related to job search process including resume and cover letter writing;
▪ Experience utilizing career assessment tools, on-line career planning tools, resources and reporting and data analysis tools;
▪ Ability to incorporate labor market information into career decision making process; ▪ Knowledge of career development theories and job search strategies; ▪ Knowledge of the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) career competencies and experience using those competencies to develop programmatic goals;
▪ Strong written and oral communication skills;
▪ Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships in order to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
▪ Extended periods of computer work, physical activities include set up and break down of events, and standing for long periods of time and travel to various locations (i.e. to attend outreach events, employer events, community events, etc.) Ability to lift 25+lbs. ▪ Ability to work some evening and occasional Saturday hours also required.
This position is located in Rockville, MD. This is a contractual grant funded position. To apply for this position, please visit https://ejobs.umd.edu