Fleet Services Technician I/II
This is recruitment is for 2 positions - one located in Chantilly, VA and one in Newington, VA.
Under close supervision of the Supervisor, Fleet Services performs skilled mechanical work on automotive and construction equipment. Assures vehicle and equipment standards are maintained. Provides support to other areas of the Department as needed. Maintains the automotive repair facility. Based on the experience of the individual hired the position will be filled at either the level I or II position.
Essential functions include:
- Participating in major repair work on vehicles and equipment such as: inspecting, removing, disassembling, rebuilding, repairing, welding, adjusting, reinstalling and aligning components such as: engines, automatic transmissions, brakes, clutches, radiators, front ends, rear ends and power trains.
- Maintaining general vehicle equipment care such as changing oil, lubricating chassis, replacing belts, hoses and other preventive maintenance needs.
- Making emergency road repairs on vehicles and construction equipment.
- Repairing tools and equipment for other departments.
- Preparing and installing seasonal equipment such as snow chains and plows.
- Servicing vehicles, equipment and emergency generators at any of the Fairfax Water locations.
Assures vehicles and equipment standards are maintained by:
- Conducting Virginia Safety Inspection.
- Inspecting and preparing new vehicles, including the installations of special equipment.
- Reporting any new vehicle discrepancies to the Supervisor, Fleet Services.
Graduation from high school or GED supplemented by specialized training in automotive and construction equipment repair and a minimum of three years hands-on experience in automotive and construction equipment repair and maintenance, or any equivalent combination of education, experience, and knowledge. Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment. This position is also subject to random testing after hire. Knowledge of methods, tools, and special equipment used to diagnose and repair vehicles and construction equipment. Knowledge of engines, transmissions, front ends, other vehicle components, and general automotive and construction repair work. Thorough knowledge of Virginia Safety Inspection Rules and Regulations. Ability to diagnose mechanical problems and make appropriate repairs to a wide variety of automotive and construction equipment. Ability to operate test equipment and tools necessary for automotive and equipment maintenance and repair. “Fairfax Water requires new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to legally required exceptions.”
About Fairfax Water
Fairfax Water is a respected leader in the drinking water industry, supplying drinking water to nearly two million people in the communities of Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Herndon, Vienna, Alexandria, Falls Church, and Fairfax City. We are Virginia’s largest water utility and one of the 25 largest water utilities in the country, serving one of every five Virginians who obtain their water from public utilities. We aim to uphold customer trust by providing water of exceptional quality and reliability at a reasonable price, supporting the high quality of life and economic vitality of Northern Virginia.
To review the full requirements for the position please go to our website at www.fairfaxwater.org and apply online. Fairfax Water offers competitive salaries as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including excellent health insurance, tuition reimbursement, flexible spending accounts, and a defined benefit retirement plan.