Manager III – Section Chief
Manager III – Section Chief (Grade M3)
Montgomery County Government
Department of Environmental Protection
2425 Reedie Drive, Wheaton, Maryland 20902
Salary Range: $80,384 - $146,923
The mission of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County's air, water, and land in a sustainable, innovative, inclusive, and industry-leading way while fostering smart growth, a thriving more sustainable economy and healthy communities.
DEP is seeking an experienced individual to serve as a full-time Manager III (Section Chief) in the Department of Environmental Protection, Recycling and Resource Management Division, Recycling and Refuse Services Section. This position is responsible for the overall management of the Recycling and Refuse Services Section and administers the ongoing performance of the Refuse, Recycling and Yard Waste collectors, and the Section's employees, including managers, supervisors, inspectors, and support personnel. Additionally, the position is responsible for planning, budgeting and implementing continuous operations improvements while assuring the quality of all County provided residential recycling and refuse collection services as well as the enforcement and prosecution of County laws controlling the collection and disposal of recycling and refuse.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
• Serve as Contract Administrator of all County provided recycling and refuse collection services contracts.
• Prepare, defend and control Fiscal Year Budgets for the Recycling and Refuse Section.
• Plan, budget and implement improvements in the methods for contracting and monitoring the performance of contractors, the methods for evaluating service performance of contractors, the methods for evaluating service performance and the types of recycling and refuse services that will be provided.
• Evaluate the effectiveness of business processes and service delivery. Identify and direct the major changes necessary to accommodate rapid changes in information technology. Evaluate and implement new collection services and programs (Pay-as-you-Throw, food scraps, textiles, electronics, etc.)
• Measure customer behaviors (recycling rates, contamination rates, use of containers and recycling bins, etc.)
• Provide management and supervision of the Recycling and Refuse Services Section supervisors, field and support staff.
The ideal candidate will have strong problem solving and decision-making skills. The successful candidate should have demonstrated ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing, as well as, handle communications and negotiations with tact, resourcefulness, and good judgement, even in confrontational situations.
As a manager/supervisor of unionized employees, this position has a responsibility for fostering a positive labor relations environment based on mutual trust, respect, and cooperation.
This position requires possession of a valid driver's license and the ability to drive a County vehicle to conduct and attend meetings and presentations, perform work at locations outside the office, and participate in other work-related duties.
To ensure a positive workplace and to comply with federal, state and County laws, the incumbent is responsible for completing mandatory trainings within the first three to six months or within the specified timeframe.
Experience: Five (5) years of progressively responsible professional experience in solid waste management, solid waste operations or recycling and refuse collections services
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
License: Possession and maintenance at all times of a valid Class "C" (or equivalent) driver’s license from the applicant's state of residence.
All applicants will be reviewed by OHR for minimum qualifications. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will be rated "Qualified," placed on the Eligible List, and may be considered for interview.
Preference for interviews will be given to applicants with experience in the following:
• Experience in and knowledge of Federal, State, and County solid waste management laws, principles, policies, procedures and regulations
• Experience improving and/or innovating processes to achieve efficiency and effectiveness
• Experience in fiscal/contract management and procurement (project development through award and completion)
• Experience managing complex solid waste collections services
• Experience recognizing and analyzing problems and developing a course of action
• Experience with developing, defending, implementing and controlling multi-million dollar budgets
• Experience in personnel management (i.e. team building, planning, managing, directing, and supervising the work of subordinate supervisory, professional, administrative, and/or labor/trades personnel in a union environment)
• Experience in written and oral communication regarding complex and controversial issues to a variety of audiences
• Experience with computers and application programs, including Windows-based word processing, spreadsheets, database applications, and Outlook
Montgomery County Government offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HR/Recruitment/MCGCareers.html
and click on the “Search for Jobs at MCG" tab.
Read the full job description under the “General Professional" Job Category.
The requisition number is IRC53084.
Interested candidates must create an online account in order to apply.
This Recruitment Closes February 16, 2022.
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position,
which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Resume Preparation Tips
listed under the “Resources” tab on the Office of Human Resource’s MCG Careers webpage.