Operations Manager (Revised)
U.S. District Court
Revised to update to 2022 salary rates and education requirements. All applications submitted under original posting are still under consideration and applicants do not need to reapply.
This position is located in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Virginia, Alexandria, VA. The Operations Manager is a member of the districtwide management team of the Clerk’s Office and reports to the Chief Deputy Clerk of Operations. The incumbent is responsible for the operations work performed in the Alexandria Division, and assuring the work complies with federal and local rules, Administrative Office policies and procedures, and directives of the judges. The Operations Manager directly supervises an operations supervisor and all courtroom deputy staff. Some travel within the district is required.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assign, direct, and review all operations in the Alexandria Division. Responsible for the quality and quantity of work performed by the operations employees of the divisional office.
- Develop and assure implementation of operational policies and procedures, including the use of change management and quality control techniques. Organize work processes to optimize the use of time and resources, ensuring results meet expectations. Develop short-term and long-range workforce plans.
- Establish and coordinate work schedules and make reassignments and adjustments as necessary. Manage the hiring of staff and recommendations made on personnel actions. Conduct performance evaluations. Ensure employees receive process and procedural systems training, including initial, updated, or remedial training.
- Work collaboratively with clerk’s office management team regarding operations district-wide. Provide advice on complex matters to staff, supervisors, management, and judges. Communicate clearly and effectively, both orally and in writing, to explain complex operational matters and concepts to individuals and groups with varying experience and backgrounds.
- Coordinate coverage by official and contract court reporters, process and maintain leave records for official court reporters, and review and certify reports for official court reporters. Process and maintain leave records for staff attorneys.
- Prepare or coordinate preparation of monthly statistical reports on the activities of the division and special reports as required by the Court and/or Administrative Office.
- Maintain contact with the bar on court procedures and practices. Work with judges, magistrate judges, and chambers staff and other units such as the Probation Office, the Bankruptcy Court, the U.S. Attorney’s Office, and the U.S. Marshal Service. Arrange and conduct courthouse tours as needed.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
This position is full-time with benefits. Please review the full job announcement and application procedures on our website at https://www.vaed.uscourts.gov/jobs