Associate Production Editor
Associate Production Editor – Special Publications
Downtown nonprofit association near Metro seeks an Associate Production Editor – Special Publications to produce Supplement issues for its flagship journal, AJPH. This position will work closely with the Journal Project Manager and Deputy Director of Publications to ensure supplement issue manuscripts are produced and published on schedule; monitor the production schedule of special issues, ensuring that all deadlines are met and that the production workflow remains steady and consistent; coordinate with Senior Associate Production Editor to ensure publication and printing of special issues on time; perform triage, copyediting and proofreading functions; initiate composition; conduct issue finalization and online issue posting; manage a group of freelancer copyeditors and proofreaders to ensure that articles are being edited and composed in a timely process, and then review copyedited manuscripts, tables, and figures, checking grammar, style, and consistency; review proofread PDFs, checking grammar, style, and consistency throughout; check formal issues for accuracy and correctness prior to publication and printing.
Specific areas of oversight and responsibilities are:
- Monitor workflow and Journal Project Manager to help develop/improve current production policies and systems for special issues. As part of the production team, help to ensure that all production milestones and deadlines are being met for each special issue.
- Secure necessary publication elements, including tables, figures, funding statements, conflicts of interest, Guest Editor names, print runs, online posting dates and information, and final e-Reader files.
- Conduct Triage to assess manuscripts prior to production.
- Review copyedited manuscripts, providing feedback to copyeditors; checking for grammar, spelling, punctuation, clarity, and consistency with established Journal style; and preparing manuscripts for composition.
- Prepare figures for composition, providing editing instructions to the composition team or editing/reworking figures in Illustrator and Photoshop. Convert or create graphics to replace figures that fail to meet Journal criteria.
- Proofread various versions of article proofs. Consolidate author corrections to page proofs and resolve any outstanding author queries. Monitor the overall proofreading process.
- Monitor production deadlines, ensuring that authors, copyeditors, and proofreaders return manuscripts promptly.
- Review special issue notebooks for style, layout, completeness, and correctness. Consolidate further corrections from 2nd proofs and author responses to queries and coordinate with the Director of Publications to place house and paid ads. Route formal issue files for review and send all changes to the compositor.
- Liaise as needed with authors, compositors, designers, editors, and printer, as well as other vendors, as required to ensure timely and efficient publication of the Journal.
- Monitor page layout and compositors’ compliance with established style, making changes and providing feedback as needed.
- Develop and update forms, templates, and procedures as needed.
- Assist with the production of regular monthly issues of the AJPH, as directed.
- Other tasks as necessary.
BA or higher in English, Journalism, Communications, Public Health or related field. Advanced degree in public health preferred. Proficiency with MS Office and Adobe software products and use of online submissions systems and databases required; previous use of Editorial Manager software and Atypon software preferred. At least 2-3 years’ experience editing and producing scholarly journals, including oversight of style and format, copyediting, and proofreading. Familiarity with peer-review processes and protocols preferred. At least 1-2 years' experience with progressive responsibility managing projects to successful and timely completion preferred. Highly organized. Ability to manage time and multiple projects effectively and efficiently. Excellent written and oral communication skills. Must be able to work occasional evening and weekend work as job duties or projects require it.
Applicants who meet the requirements and are interested in being considered for this position should submit the following information (please include your last name in all filenames when uploading materials. You should use this format: LastName.CoverLetter) at: https://careers-apha.icims.com.
- Cover letter;
- A writing sample;
- Salary requirement;
- At least 2 supervisory references and 1 professional reference (name, title, company name and phone number and email).
CLOSING DATE: Open Until Filled
EEO/AA/VETS/DISABILITY. APHA is strongly and actively committed to diversity in its workplace.