Honorary Consul of Canada in Richmond, Virginia, USA
Following changes to the Government of Canada's most recent Governor in Council Appointment Process through which Honorary Consuls are selected, the Embassy of Canada in Washington D.C. is required to run a formal competition with a view to ensuring open, transparent and merit-based selection processes. Incumbents are eligible to reapply.
Honorary Consuls provide an additional resource on the ground, extending the reach of Canada's diplomatic mission network to advance the country's national interests in the United States. In the Commonwealth of Virginia, the successful candidate will work closely with the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C., proactively identifying opportunities and offering an important local and regional perspective on issues of importance to Canada in Virginia.
In collaboration with the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C., the Honorary Consul will:
- Facilitate access for Canadian officials to key decision-makers and influencers in the Commonwealth of Virginia, including through meetings, events and speaking opportunities.
- Meet with community leaders, including major corporate and government partners in the area, as well as civil society organizations, for the express purpose of delivering Canadian advocacy messages on priority areas, including trade, economic, environment, and security issues.
- Provide strategic intelligence and advice, verbally and through written reports, on key aspects of Canada-U.S. and Canada-Virginia relations as seen from the local perspective, and make recommendations on opportunities for the Canadian embassy to advance Canadian objectives.
- Represent the Embassy, as appropriate and when requested, at events that provide an opportunity for Canadian promotion and advocacy.
- Contribute tangibly to the furtherance of the Government of Canada's diversity, equity and inclusion agenda through connections with equity-deserving groups in Virginia.
- Advise the Embassy's commercial team in support of Canadian business clients in Virginia and of Canada's Foreign Direct Investment (FDI) and Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) goals and programing. This may include, for example, facilitating introductions to local business executives and proactively sharing business or investment leads with the mission's commercial team.
- Develop programs for and assist with high-level visits to Virginia, including program and logistical advice and reporting as required.
For specific details, please consult : https://www.international.gc.ca/country-pays/us-eu/jobs-emplois/2021/2021-12-22-honorary-consul-consul-honoraire.aspx?lang=eng
*an honorarium is an ex gratia payment made to a person in recognition of his or her services for a fixed term.