Building Maintenance Manager
The Building Maintenance Manager is responsible for overseeing the safety and maintenance of the Barclay Building and ensuring that the building is in compliance with regulations while recommending and coordinating improvements and performing repairs, maintaining the systems of the building, and providing janitorial services.
Primary duties and responsibilities:
- Maintains a safe environment with proper lighting, signage, and disability access.
- Drafts and updates emergency plans and evacuation procedures.
- Oversees security, fire prevention, and other safety systems including the annual fire inspection, maintenance of all life safety equipment, and assisting with emergency response and evacuations.
- Assists the VP, Compliance, Diversity & HR with creating and maintaining the building budget and ensuring all expenses are properly accounted for in the budget including processing bills, obtaining approvals, and coding the bills.
- Performs daily floor by floor systems checks on apparatuses such as air handlers, water heaters including a roof check of drains, cooling tower, and exhausts, and a basement check of fire panels, boiler, and dry air compressor.
- Ensures all plumbing, heating and electrical are functioning properly throughout the building including in each restroom through daily checks.
- Performs a range of repairs to mechanical, HVAC, electrical and plumbing systems and regular maintenance as needed, such as filter replacement and coil cleaning.
- Handles all aspects of vendor management including researching vendors, cost comparison, contract negotiations, and vendor communication.
- Prepares annual list of capital improvement requests for VP, Compliance, Diversity & HR.
- Manages/oversees repair and maintenance projects specific to the building, including coordination and communication with staff regarding the same, and inspection of projects for completeness.
- Maintains inventory of and documentation related to all equipment, repair and maintenance supplies, and tools, within the building, as well as provides recommendations on life-span for large equipment.
- Serves as the point of contact for tenant issues and resolves complaints, problems, and requests from building tenants.
- Assists VP, Compliance, Diversity & HR with handling building access by locking/unlocking elevators as needed and providing/collecting access cards as needed.
- Cleans and maintains work areas, common areas, the 5th floor storage area, kitchens, restrooms, the parking facility and spaces, as well as some exterior areas by doing such things as appliance cleaning, lightbulb replacement, trash removal, sweeping, and light landscaping.
- Prepares the building for any inclement weather e.g. laying down rock salt and assesses the building after inclement weather by checking for leaks, assisting in snow or ice removal etc.
- Stocks restroom supplies and some kitchen supplies, such as the soda vending machines.
- Handles furniture and equipment by assembling as needed, moving and storing, and maintaining the keys for such furniture and equipment, if any.
- Handles conference center room set ups for meetings and other special functions.
- Performs other related duties and assignments as required.
Education, prior work experience, and specialized skills and knowledge:
- Strong knowledge of commercial building systems, i.e. electrical, HVAC, fire panel and plumbing
- High School Diploma required. FMP Certification preferred.
- 7+ years of experience working in the maintenance field with experience in commercial buildings, 2+ years of experience directing the activities of others in the service, repair, and preventative maintenance fields
- Skilled in establishing effective working relationships with staff and vendors
- Attention to detail, and the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines
- Basic knowledge of Outlook, Excel and Word
- Ability to read basic operating instructions and follow instructions for repair and maintenance purposes.