IT Support Assistant
IT Support Assistant
Provide direct end-user assistance to the customers of the IT Service Desk. The IT Service Desk provides Tier One (Level 1) technical support to the students, faculty and staff at the Universities at Shady Grove (USG). This includes Level 1 support of Windows, Apple and mobile computing platforms, the ever-evolving productivity applications, wired and wireless connectivity and a wide range of university academic and administrative applications. Tier One (Level 1) customer support is provided via walk-in, e-mail and telephone. The USG IT Service Desk Support Assistant is responsible for all aspects of the customer relationship, from initial contact through troubleshooting and research to final incident resolution and response to customer feedback. This position also assists the IT Manager with the supervision of student and contractual staff.
Required Education and Experience:
▪ High School Diploma or GED AND One year with the types of hardware and/or software to be supported.
▪ Associate degree or bachelor’s degree in related field or equivalent years of experience preferred;
▪ Experience supporting A/V systems and remote communication software (i.e. Zoom);
▪ Experience using Microsoft Active Directory;
▪ Experience supporting IT customers in a higher education environment.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of and experience supporting MS Windows and MS Office applications;
• Knowledge of Microsoft Active Directory services to manage permissions and computer inventory and perform periodic audits of access rights;
• Knowledge or experience with any of the following: a). deployment automation; b). endpoint protection and updates; c). SCCM/MECM, Mac OS and Jamf; d). IT security best practices, networking and virtualization technologies;
• Strong written and verbal communication skills;
• Excellent analytical, troubleshooting, and customer service skills;
• Research skills and good interpersonal skills to advise on hardware and software recommendations for USG;
• Ability to configure, deploy and maintain USG computing resources;
• Ability to maintain and configure systems using remote support tools including SCCM/MECM and Jamf to distribute software packages and security updates; provide tech assistance to users;
• Ability to troubleshoot technology problems and answer questions;
• Ability to resolve issues escalated above student worker support and escalate to Tier 2 as appropriate;
• Ability to quickly learn and use new technologies
Ability to sit for long periods of time in front of a computer during busy periods. Ability to cope with pressure and the occasional lifting of computer hardware. Required to work outside of normal scheduled working hours (i.e. early mornings, late evenings, weekends). Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
To apply for this position, please visit https://ejobs.umd.edu