Founded in 1936, the National Wildlife Federation (NWF or Federation) is America's largest and most trusted grassroots conservation organization with 52 state and territorial affiliates and more than six million members and supporters, including hunters, anglers, gardeners, birders, hikers, campers, paddlers, and outdoor enthusiasts of all stripes. The Federation's mission is to unite all Americans to ensure wildlife thrive in our rapidly changing world through programming focused on conserving wildlife, restoring habitats and waterways, expanding outdoor opportunities, connecting children with nature, and addressing the causes and consequences of climate change.
We are seeking an Accounting to join our team in Reston, VA. In this role you will be responsible for all aspects of accounting for Garden For Wildlife, Inc. You will play a key role in the establishment of Garden For Wildlife (GFW) as a for-profit subsidiary of NWF, working closely with members of the Finance and GFW teams to support timely and accurate closing of our books and required financial reporting. Your role will evolve and will require the ideal candidate to be flexible and open-minded, while being detail oriented and capable of helping establish and implement new accounting processes and systems for a fast-growing e-commerce company.
Your major areas of responsibility:
- Preparation of journal entries for processing in the general ledger, including stock and equity accounting
- Contribute to monthly, (quarterly), and yearly close while maintaining all supporting schedules
- Work with GFW Finance Director to establish product line level cost accounting system
- Perform account line item variance analysis and research and resolve discrepancies
- Work in conjunction with GFW Finance Director to prepare sales tax calculations and filings as well as all required business registrations and filings
- Effectively communicate with NWF Finance team members to ensure accurate recording of deferred revenue and revenue recognition resulting from timing differences between sales and product shipment
- Assist in annual audit, including consolidation of financial statements, and tax return preparation
- Reconcile bank and credit card accounts monthly
- Comply with federal, state, and local legal requirements by maintaining compliance documentation and maintaining historical records by filing documents electronically
- Other duties as assigned or needed to move the new GFW entity and financial goals forward
- Bachelor’s degree required with a concentration in Accounting. Working towards a CPA is a plus.
- 5 years of related for-profit accounting experience. Ideally experience in startup or social enterprise ventures.
- Excellent analytical skills and knowledge of GAAP, accounting principles and practices.
- Knowledge of e-commerce sales tax regulations and guidelines
- Ability to communicate financial concepts clearly and engage with diverse teams and groups as well as work independently
- Desire to learn and grow in the role as part of an entrepreneurial environment
- Attention to detail and ability to work with a high degree of accuracy
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, particularly Excel
- Experience with ERP accounting and sales systems. Knowledge of or ability to learn the Infor CloudSuite Financial system
- Must be able to prioritize multiple tasks and responsibilities to meet critical deadlines.
Your actions are expected to reflect the staff values of the National Wildlife Federation: collaboration, mindfulness, empowerment, inclusivity, and mission focus. Your competencies should include:
- Being motivated by values of equity and responsibility to those most marginalized;
- Consistently bringing a high level of empathy and social skills to work and interpersonal interactions;
- Being committed to deepening an environmental justice approach in policy priorities, program development and partner engagement;
- Actively seeks feedback, direction, and guidance from all team members and keeps staff informed of decisions that impact them;
- Being dedicated to advancing NWF’s internal equity transformation and compelling partners and allies to incorporate equity into their work; and
- Passion for and commitment to NWF's mission
The National Wildlife Federation closely follows the 2019 Novel Coronavirus Disease and has implemented processes that promote the safety of our employees, candidates, and communities. Because the health of our employees and candidates is a top priority, we conduct our hiring process virtually via phone or video until further notice. We are currently starting our positions as remote, but will transition to onsite work when our offices re-open, expected to be in early 2022. Proof of vaccination will be required to join the National Wildlife Federation.
Compensation and Benefits:
This position pays $80,000 – $90,000 (commensurate with experience and skill set).
We are proud of our designation by Mogul as a Top 100 Workplace with the Best Benefits in 2021! We value work-life balance and a family-friendly atmosphere with flexible scheduling. We want you to be able to integrate work and personal life with attention to your self-care, so that your work schedule is not depleting. We offer benefits so you feel restored and fueled through the day and week.
We offer these supports to help manage your mental, emotional, and physical health:
- Paid time off: Vacation that starts off at three weeks accrual, unlimited wellbeing (this time can be used for physical, spiritual, emotional, cultural, religious or financial wellbeing for yourself, a partner, or family member – including pets), 10 holidays, and 3 floating holidays
- We close down for a paid winter break between December 25 to January 1 to recognize end of-year stress, and time for reflection, rejuvenation, and spending time with family.
- Up to 16 weeks of fully paid Family and Medical Leave
- Low-cost health, dental, and vision insurance options – all outpatient mental health is covered at in-network rates
- Therapist available at no cost
- Pet insurance and discount perk program
- Annual wellbeing allowance
In addition to your salary, we offer the following supports to your personal finances:
- Retirement plan with immediate match and vesting
- Annual year end retirement contribution
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Adoption and Surrogacy assistance
- Pet adoption stipend
- Student Loan management
Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s benefits package at https://www.nwf.org/About-Us/Careers.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates should submit a cover letter and resume at https://recruiting.ultipro.com/NAT1047NWF/JobBoard/1ca8346a-33cc-401d-90d9-d7f752fdfd7d/Opportunity/OpportunityDetail?opportunityId=2d852e8a-81ed-492e-a345-83f81dafb3b1&sourceId=d89c8cf7-52a1-447c-8f18-20444eb55e8e.
We strive to increase diversity, equity, inclusion and justice (DEIJ) in all elements of our work and with our partners to support the interdependent needs of wildlife and people in a rapidly changing world. We recruit, employ, train compensate, and promote regardless of race, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, gender identity (including gender nonconformity and status as a transgender individual), age, physical or mental disability, citizenship, genetic information, past, current, or prospective service in the uniformed services, or any other characteristic protected under applicable federal, state, or local law. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants are invited to learn more about National Wildlife Federation’s commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion at nwf.org/equity.
We recognize that people come with a wealth of experience and talent beyond just the technical requirements of a job, therefore our job descriptions are guidelines, not hard and fast rules. Your experience, which may include paid and unpaid experience, including volunteer work, helps build the competencies and knowledge that translates to our openings. Diversity of experience and skills combined with passion is a key to innovation and a culture of excellence. Therefore, we encourage people from all backgrounds to apply to our positions.
Please let us know if you require accommodations during the application or interview process by reaching us at email@example.com or 703-438-6244.
If selected for this position, a background check will be conducted.