Writer/Copy Editor (Part Time)
Do you want to join a mission-driven organization that makes a difference in the U.S. healthcare landscape?
ASTRO is the premier radiation oncology society in the world, with more than 10,000 members who are physicians, nurses, biologists, physicists, radiation therapists, dosimetrists and other health care professionals who specialize in treating patients with radiation therapies. These medical professionals make up the radiation therapy treatment teams that are critical in the fight against cancer. Together, these teams treat more than one million cancer patients each year.
ASTRO is looking for an individual with at least 2 years of writing and copy-editing experience to review all print and online communications to ensure they are error free, easy to read and consistent with ASTRO style. The writer/copy editor will assist with writing and researching various communication and marketing materials and assist with executing various marketing campaigns.
This is a great opportunity for an individual who is looking to work 20 hours per week and seeks a stable and regular position (non-freelance) with benefits i.e. generous PTO, holiday and 401(k) benefits.
NOTE: The position is based in Arlington, VA at ASTRO’s headquarters. The position may be eligible for telework after 6 months of successful employment. All employees must be fully vaccinated as a condition for employment.
- ASTROnews and ASTRO Daily News:
- Proofread and edit ASTRO’s quarterly magazine and Annual Meeting daily paper. Fix grammatical, punctuation and spelling errors, check for accuracy as needed and offer suggestions for content additions.
- Assist with researching topics and contacting sources throughout the development of stories.
- Write stories as assigned.
- ASTROgram and ASTRO Blog:
- Solicit and compile stories for ASTRO’s weekly e-newsletter and blog.
- Proofread and edit stories.
- Write content as needed for weekly newsletter and blog.
- Post blogs on the ASTRO website.
- Marketing and General Communication:
- Edit print and online communication and content distributed by ASTRO for style, grammar and content.
- Write and edit marketing copy as assigned.
- Assist with editing content on ASTRO webpages and applying edits in Content Management System.
- Support implementation of marketing campaigns as needed.
- Annual Meeting
- Proofread and edit abstracts for publication in the Proceedings of the Annual Meeting.
- Write stories based on Annual Meeting sessions for publication in the Daily News and Digital Dailies.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Successful candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communication, marketing or English.
- Two to three years of copy-editing experience.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Excellent editing and writing skills.
- Strong knowledge of AP style required.
- Proficient in MS Office, Adobe InDesign and Adobe Acrobat
- Familiarity with Content Management Systems, specifically Kentico is desirable.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multi-task, prioritize, adhere to schedules and meet deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal skills, team player with ability to relate to all levels of individuals.
- General office.
This role might be right for you if…
- You have a passion for organizing, coordinating and supporting others
- You are creative, imaginative and a team player
- You have a natural curiosity and self-motivated drive for continuous improvement and development of new skills
- You are not afraid to “roll up your sleeves” to get things done. You are a “do-er” and not just a “thinker”.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to prioritize and multitask effectively; strong project management skills; can meet and manage multiple deadlines working both independently and on a team; highly detail-oriented
- Self-starter, self-motivated and able to work independently
- Strong interpersonal skills. Ability to connect well with people and work in a collaborative manner
ASTRO offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package which includes:
- Flexible work arrangements (after 6 months of employment)
- 401K with immediate company contribution
- Generous Paid Time Off annually
- 13 Paid Holidays
Please see our website www.astro.org for more information about ASTRO.
To apply, submit cover letter, salary requirements and resume by clicking:
We are an equal/affirmative action employer.