Assistant Director, eLearning
Do you have a passion for lifelong learning and an interest in medical education programming? Do you want to join a mission-driven organization that makes a difference in the U.S. healthcare landscape?
ASTRO is the premier radiation oncology society in the world, with more than 10,000 members who are physicians, nurses, biologists, physicists, radiation therapists, dosimetrists and other health care professionals who specialize in treating patients with radiation therapies. These medical professionals make up the radiation therapy treatment teams that are critical in the fight against cancer. Together, these teams treat more than one million cancer patients each year.
Reporting directly to the VP, Learning and Education, the Assistant Director of eLearning is responsible for developing, planning, managing, and evaluating ASTRO’s online and blended learning initiatives (self-paced online learning, live and on-demand webinars, hybrid and virtual meetings, self-assessment activities). This individual also provides overall guidance and direction to staff handling various components of these initiatives. The Assistant Director of eLearning will work closely with the Vice President, Learning & Education to continuously plan, evaluate, document, and report on the continuing education requirements established by the American Medical Association (AMA), Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education (ACCME), and American Board of Radiology (ABR). The Assistant Director of eLearning also provides the Education Division guidance in technology tools to meet all education needs. This individual must be familiar with the use of learning management systems and other technology to enhance the teaching and learning processes of online and blended learning, while working within the parameters set by the AMA, ACCME, and ABR. Additionally, the Assistant Director of eLearning serves as a staff liaison to the Education Committee.
NOTE: The position is based in Arlington, VA at ASTRO’s headquarters. The position is eligible for hybrid in-office/telework. All employees must be fully vaccinated as a condition for employment.
Major responsibilities will include:
- Ensures that ASTRO’s online and blended learning initiatives are planned and documented as required to follow the guidelines established by the AMA, ACCME, and ABR.
- Ensures online and blended learning initiatives meet the varied needs of the membership and is consistent with the mission and strategic goals of ASTRO.
- Researches and recommends new technologies and products for planned implementation where appropriate.
- Leverages the learning management system to grow online and blended educational opportunity to meet both learner needs and produce expected results.
- Liaises with various ABR staff and volunteer stakeholders to troubleshoot challenges, comment on changes, and ensure that ASTRO’s members are up-to-date on certification requirements.
- Monitors industry communications (specifically with the ABR and Alliance for CME) to gather details that could impact Maintenance of Certification and implement any necessary changes to ensure that ASTRO’s online and blended educational offerings are in compliance.
- Identifies educational gaps by conducting relevant needs assessments and evaluation activities.
- Ensures the CME component of ASTRO’s online and blended learning activities are ACCME compliant, including the Standards for Commercial Support.
- Prepares (in coordination with the Vice President, Learning & Education and Vice President, Finance) and attests the annual Program and Activity Reporting System (PARS) reports as part of ASTRO’s yearly ACCME compliance activities.
- Participates in the ACCME reaccreditation process by serving on the internal stakeholder task force, writing applicable sections of the self-study, and putting together performance in practice activity files.
- Serves as the staff liaison for the Education Committee.
- Prepares online and blended learning summary reports for internal stakeholders, committee leadership, executive staff, and the ASTRO Board of Directors.
- Reviews initial and supplemental vendor contracts related to hybrid and virtual meetings, eContouring, instructional design, and as necessary other online and blended learning contracts.
- Develops and monitors all budgeting aspects for ASTRO’s online and blended learning initiatives.
- Manages the other eLearning staff to establish the appropriate division of work and ensure tasks are completed in a timely and effective manner.
- Coordinates the logistics and staffing (ASTRO and the ABR) of the CE Central booth at the ASTRO Annual Meeting.
- Assist with marketing language working closely with Marketing Manager as applicable for MOC and the operations of ASTRO’s online and blended learning activities.
- Attends industry meetings to stay abreast of changing technology and accreditation requirements.
Qualified candidates will have:
- Bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent work experience that matches the knowledge and skill sets required. Master’s degree preferred. (Degrees in education, online learning, or technology are preferred.)
- A minimum of 7 years of related work experience (online learning, learning management systems, association management, and/or knowledge management) preferably in a medical specialty society, non-profit, or other education-related field.
- Experience with accreditation and certification processes such as the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education, American Medical Association, and/or the American Board of Radiology.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of online and/or blended continuing education activities and trends within the adult education, non-profit, or medical specialty society fields.
- Expertise in learning management system administration and SCORM authoring tools (Adobe Captivate experience preferred).
- Expertise in association management systems and membership databases (Aptify experience preferred).
- Proficiency in content management systems (Kentico experience preferred) and HTML basics.
- Proficiency in working with webinar software (Zoom experience preferred) and hosting live meeting/webinar events.
- Knowledge of continuing medical education requirements, including ACCME standards and essential areas.
- Knowledge of maintenance of certification requirements (American Board of Radiology knowledge preferred).
- Demonstrated skill in managing a frontline customer service team and experience in working collaboratively within the organization (IT Department, Communications Department, etc.) and with outside vendors to resolve issues in a timely manner.
- Strong organizational/project management skills with ability to manage subject matter experts, handle multiple tasks, work at a fast pace, determine priorities, and meet critical deadlines.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing with members, volunteer leadership, colleagues, and executive staff.
- Proficiency in developing and managing budgets.
- Proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite with expertise in Outlook, Excel, Word, and PowerPoint
- Prior supervisory experience required with experience in managing remote workers preferred.
- Ability to work as part of a team, take initiative, think proactively and promote best practices for the division and organizational missions.
General office environment with some travel (approximately 15%) and occasional after-hours webinar hosting (approximately 6-12 times per year) required.
ASTRO offers a competitive salary and excellent benefits package which includes:
- Flexible work arrangements including telework up to 2 days/week (after 6 months of employment)
- Medical, dental and vision insurance, majority company paid
- 401K with immediate company contribution
- 23 days of Paid Time Off annually
- 13 Paid Holidays
- Student loan repayment assistance + tuition reimbursement
- Employer paid short and long term disability insurance and more
Please see our website www.astro.org for more information about ASTRO.
To apply, submit cover letter, salary requirements and resume by clicking:
We are an equal/affirmative action employer.