Program Manager, Conferences & Meetings
Position Summary: Reporting to the Senior Director, Conferences, Meetings, & Virtual Events, the Program Manager, Conferences and Meetings assists with planning departmental activities relating to meetings at NAFSA, including providing timely front-line service responses regarding the NAFSA Annual Conference & Expo. This position provides support to the conference team and other departments by coordinating and managing logistics for meetings, conferences, and event planning services. In close collaboration with stakeholders across departments, the Program Manager assists in planning internal leadership events, Board meetings, and other activities to provide high quality meeting experiences.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
Annual Conference & Expo Logistics (25%)
- As part of cross-departmental conference planning team, conduct site visits at venues for planning purposes up to three times a year. Support onsite and virtual implementation of conferences to ensure all technical and logistical requirements are executed.
- Lead the design, procurement, and delivery of promotional products, for example, tote bags, lanyards, and other branded materials to fulfill sponsorship commitments.
- Manage signage production and placement with guidance from the Senior Director.
- Partner with Local Arrangements Team (LAT) on various projects to support conference meetings and events.
- Review and update requests for proposals (RFP) for annual conference and expo.
- Support Office Administrator in managing the shipping process for annual conference.
Vendor Management (25%)
- Research availability and solicit vendor-related proposals, contracts, and agreements for annual conference for EMT services, sign language interpreters, temporary workers, and décor.
- Provide accurate and consistent information to service providers to ensure the highest degree of customer service.
- Manage select vendors and temporary personnel on-site.
- Oversee accessibility needs for attendees (sign language, work with tech team on sites, ADA transport).
Meeting and Logistical Support (15%)
- Work closely with the Associate Director and internal stakeholders to coordinate logistics and provide support for in-house meetings and local events in Washington, DC, including Board of Directors meetings, Washington Leadership Meeting, advocacy events, and departmental committee meetings. Support virtual meeting and conference coordination as assigned by Senior Director. Identify ways to streamline internal processes and use of technology in planning conferences and meetings.
- Provide offsite meeting and logistical support includes reserving meeting/function space, food and beverage/catering arrangements, audio visual setup, room and meal checks throughout meetings; work closely with hotel/venue staff to ensure high quality meeting experience.
- Coordinate with Associate Director to research and maintain a current inventory list of local area hotels, meeting facilities, special event venues, and catering service providers. Solicit RFPs and conduct research for possible off-site meeting locations across the country for various NAFSA educational events.
- Serve as resource to NAFSA staff in planning and executing successful events. Provide a high level of internal customer service to staff members in planning meetings for departments. Manage food and beverage arrangements for meetings in the NAFSA headquarter office; collaborate with Office Administrator to confirm specifications for in-office events.
- Provide all necessary support for annual conference housing program to Associate Director, Conferences and Meetings to include credit application, confirmed rates, concessions, and other contractual elements.
- Assist Associate Director in manage housing information for NAFSA website, collaborating with housing vendor, including setting up and testing housing and reservation sites.
- Manage staff, vendor and VIP housing requests and reservations.
- Track all housing financial records, including NAFSA commissions and rebates and coordinate invoicing and collection efforts with the finance department.
- Provide consistent answers to daily phone and e-mail inquiries through the conference inbox, based on department guidelines
- Manage visa invitation letter process for annual conference attendees
- Ensure pertinent event information is communicated to NAFSA staff throughout the planning process for conferences, meetings, and events.
Event Technology (10%)
- Maintain website pages for annual conference that support the work of logistics team (housing, travel, registration, FAQ’s, health and safety)
- Work with the Technology Solutions and Conference Program teams to assist with online planner and mobile app development as needed; assist with digital conference offerings as needed.
Performs other duties as assigned to support the Senior Director in achievement of NAFSA strategic goals and objectives. (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Minimum two years of work experience with general office administrative work.
- Demonstrated ability to appropriately prioritize, manage, and complete multiple projects and assignments while meeting competing deadlines
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite products; ability to master various technology, web, and data management systems
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, and a track record of excellent customer relations support using a variety of communication platforms and media
- Ability to master various technology, web, and data management systems
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Commitment and enthusiasm for NAFSA’s mission
- Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment as well as independently with minimal direction
- Ability to work flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends; occasional travel required
- Experience with conferences, meetings, or event planning, especially planning large conferences
- Previous experience with NAFSA, international education, or other association membership or nonprofit organizations
- Experience in a membership organization working with volunteers and committees
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office suite products
- Experience with project management and database software
- CMP designation