The Admissions Counselor is responsible for developing and implementing recruitment activities for assigned areas nationwide. The Admission Counselor works with prospective students throughout the college process. Admissions Counselors have a clear commitment to providing excellent service to students, families, and related individuals or organizations, reinforcing Marymount’s commitment to student-centered education and development.
Director of Admissions
Admissions & Aid
No. Direct Reports 0
Target Weekly Hours 40
2807 N Glebe (Main Campus)
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Counsels and advises prospective students, applicants and family members about opportunities at Marymount University. Develops working knowledge of admissions & financial aid processes, academic programs and student life. Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential.
- Establishes and maintains effective communication and rapport with high school counselors, CBOs, and IECs.
- Manages a recruitment territory, uses data to drive decisions, and considers ROI in recruitment events, travel and marketing efforts.
- Schedules and participates in approved travel to assigned regions including, but not limited to, high school visits, fairs, career days, college nights; implements additional activities such as interviews, receptions, and virtual events. Expectations include approximately 12 weeks of travel in the fall and 8 weeks in the spring.
- Expected to support all on-campus recruitment events such as Open Houses and other Divisional events. Staff are accountable for generating reports, informing and meeting goals within their territory and providing input to admissions and student affairs leadership to inform the bigger enrollment picture.
- In-person, phone, email, & chat are all required ways in which Marymount communicates with potential students. Admissions staff members are required to be nimble and able to participate in these ways, counselors will employ strong telephone, electronic, and in-person communication skills.
- Conduct presentations through multiple communication channels, demonstrating effective use of a variety of technologies, including, but not limited to; Zoom, Skype, Google Meet, Slate Webinar and in-person projection technology. Participates in call nights as scheduled throughout the recruiting cycle.
- Ability to travel overnight and work evenings & weekends, with the understanding that time off may not be permissible during the height of the recruitment season.
- Responsible for representing the entire university to external constituents. As such, it is critical that Admissions Counselors have a thorough understanding of university policies and procedures, a professional presence, and that they give accurate information while abiding by the university and higher education best practices.
- Evaluates applications and supporting materials to recommend admission decisions.
- Evaluates scholarship applications and manages associated committees.
OTHER DUTIES AND ASSIGNMENTS
- Assists in the efficient and effective operation of the Admission office as needed
- Helps train new employees
- Participates in professional admission organizations
- Updates student information and maintains data records
- Performs other work-related duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree (BA, BS, etc.) required.
1-3 years of related experience in recruiting, admissions and customer service within the higher education system
Licenses or Certifications
Valid driver’s license
Processes or records financial transactions within established guidelines and safeguards. Responsible for University issued credit card to be used for necessary expenses and files the appropriate expense reports.
Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Skilled in public speaking and ability to interact with many different people. Ability to write grammatically correct emails/letters. Knowledge of terminology used in admissions and financial aid. Spanish speaker preferred. Slate experience preferred.
Marymount provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training