Director of Marketing and Communications
The American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) seeks an experienced Director of Marketing and Communications.
ASPET is a 4,000-member scientific society whose members conduct basic and clinical pharmacological research and work in academia, government, industry, and non-profit organizations. ASPET members conduct research leading to the development of new medicines and therapeutic agents to fight existing and emerging diseases.
ASPET’s mission is to be the professional home for educators, students, researchers, healthcare practitioners, and others working to advance pharmacological sciences and increase the impact and influence of this scientific discipline. ASPET is looking for a Director of Marketing and Communications to serve as a key member of the senior staff management team.
Primary Function: Plans, develops and manages the society’s entire marketing, branding, and communications strategy to advance the mission of the organization as well as increase the visibility and significance of pharmacology among members and the public.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
Marketing and Communications
- Plan, implement, track, and analyze all marketing campaigns for membership recruitment and retention, five publications, product sales, annual conference promotion, career center, awards, and other Society programs
- Oversee, develop, and implement all website, social media, and other marketing communications strategies, including direct mail, email, and publications
- Maintain consistent Society brand messaging across all media and platforms to maximize presence
- Manage the creative design and copy process for all marketing pieces and promotional materials
- Develop marketing budget necessary to achieve the strategic objectives of the Society
- Create and maintain communications calendars, marketing plans, standard operating procedures, and best practices for all marketing programs
- Oversee content and production of The Pharmacologist, the Society newsletter and the ASPET Newsbrief, the Society email newsletter
- Manage the Society’s online community
- Coordinate media activities at the Society’s annual meeting
- Assist the divisions and regional chapter affiliates to promote their activities
- Work closely with marketing team to analyze and interpret data to drive marketing programs
- Work collaboratively with other staff to ensure overall strategy for marketing and communications is effectively achieved
- Liaise with printers, mailing houses, and other outside vendors
- Manage the Society’s sponsorship and exhibit program when sponsoring or exhibiting at other organizations’ scientific meetings/events, including onsite representation at events
- Identify conferences with a high yielding ROI and exhibit at those meetings to market membership opportunities, programs, journals, and increase Society visibility
- Manage the Explore Pharmacology advertising program
- Identify new revenue streams and collaborate with members, committees, and other departments to initiate new programs and ensure the success of existing programs
- Conduct market research through surveys and focus groups and propose plans to address results of market research
- Identify and solicit potential sponsors for Society conferences
Leadership and Management
- Manage marketing staff including the Web and Technology Manager and the Marketing Communications Coordinator
- Participate in all senior management activities including conducting interviews, developing performance reviews, updating employee handbooks and guidelines, and coaching staff
- Engage with volunteer leadership and executive officer on advancing the strategic plan goals/objectives
- Present regular department reports to the Council
- Coordinate society elections and bylaws voting
- Other duties as assigned
Skills and Qualifications:
- Must have strong leadership skills
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, written and verbal communication skills, organization skills, attention to detail, and proof-reading and editing skills
- Must have the ability to problem-solve, think creatively and strategically, meet deadlines, budgets, and prioritize multiple tasks and projects
- Must have the ability to interact professionally and collaboratively on a team
- Must have ability to work effectively with volunteer leadership and staff to accomplish strategic objectives, resolve problems, and make decisions that enhance organizational effectiveness
- Must be flexible and highly adaptable to take on new or changing priorities
- Proficient with Adobe Creative suite, MS Office suite, and other computer skills
- Knowledge of web content management systems (Sitefinity or equivalent CMS) preferred
- Some travel is required
Education and Experience:
- 10+ years of progressive experience working in marketing and communications, preferably in an association or nonprofit organization
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in marketing, communications, business, or science; master’s in business, marketing, or communications a plus
- Supervisory experience required
This position offers a competitive salary with exceptional benefits that include a 403(b)-retirement plan; paid time off; medical, dental and vision insurance plans; flexible spending account; life and short- and long-term disability insurance.
This position is located in Rockville, Maryland and in walking distance to the Metro and on major bus lines.
For more information and to apply, visit http://www.faseb.org/employment. Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements.
To learn more about ASPET, please visit www.aspet.org
ASPET is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.