IT Engineer, HPC and User Support Engineer
4 days left
- Full Time
IT Engineer, HPC and User Support Engineer
Position #: 126871
This position is responsible for supporting faculty and students in adapting their computational strategies to specific features of HPC infrastructure. It also involves participating in the design, deployment, maintenance and operation of several large HPC clusters, independent Unix systems, a distributed DNS service, and internal support systems. The primary focus involves interacting with researchers to analyze and improve their workflows, and adapting their workflows to the HPC environment. This also includes installing, configuring, documenting and maintaining hardware and operating system software on a variety of platforms running Linux. This position also installs and customizes software per client requests, contributes to system designs created by ACIGS IT architects and works closely with ACIGS engineers. Other responsibilities include troubleshooting and resolving issues on systems. This position will occasionally require off hours and weekend work for problem resolution and maintenance.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, Computer Science or related field required.
Three or more years of experience with a technical organization in the capacity of a Unix system administrator.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Hands-on system administration experience with RHEL / CentOS or other Linux distributions in a distributed computing environment
- Solid understanding of IP network fundamentals
- Scripting languages such as Perl, Python and Bash for system automation tasks
- Securing systems using SSH, VPN, PKI, Kerberos and similar technologies
- Experience installing and troubleshooting enterprise server platforms
- Ability to obtain and retain a valid U.S. driver’s license, and operate a motor vehicle
Knowledge, skills and abilities in the following areas:
- Ability to work closely with customers to understand and address their needs
- Familiarity with scientific software packages
- Familiarity with the University of Maryland research, faculty and student community
- Configuration management frameworks such as Ansible, Puppet
- Version control software such as Git, CVS
- Virtualization and container solutions such as VMware, KVM and Docker
- Network management tools such as Nagios, Ganglia, and Cacti
- Tuning Linux to achieve optimal use of system and network resources
- Familiarity with configuration of the HPC software stack, including SLURM, MPI, OpenMP, Globus, Intel and GNU compilers, math libraries
- Parallel file systems such as Lustre, Ceph, GPFS
- High-performance network technologies such as Omnipath, Infiniband, RDMA
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: predominantly operates in an office environment, though significant periods of time will be spent in computer rooms and communications equipment spaces for installation, testing, and troubleshooting. Some work (less than 10%) requires moving and lifting server equipment. Occasional operation of a motor vehicle. Off hours and weekend work will occasionally be required for problem resolution and maintenance.
Best consideration date: 01/10/2022 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/91162
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.