Friends Committee on National Legislation is looking for Program Assistants for 2022-2023.
Chosen applicants work as full-time staff members of FCNL for 11 months, collaborating with key staff members to build expertise in advocacy from a public interest perspective. Benefits include salary, health care, paid vacation, and sick leave.
Fellows work under the title “Program Assistant” and work directly with FCNL staff, gaining first-hand knowledge of the legislative process and the organizing and communications work that is necessary for policy change.
Program Assistants work from late August through the end of July.
POTENTIAL PROGRAM OPPORTUNITIES INCLUDE:
- Advocacy: Lobby Congress and build grassroots campaigns to encourage constituents and members of Congress to take action by providing them with information on critical issues.
- Outreach: Help build democracy by organizing campaigns and workshops that empower people around the country to engage with elected officials in Washington.
- Research: Attend congressional committee hearings and coalition meetings and analyze documents and reports.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
The base salary is $38,600 for 11 months covers basic living expenses for the Washington, DC area. Benefits include fully paid basic health insurance, paid vacation and sick leave, and a public transportation or biking stipend. Program Assistants are responsible for making their own housing arrangements - FCNL does not cover the cost of housing or relocation. This is a non-exempt position.
A completed application will include:
- An application form.
- A cover letter telling us about yourself, why you want to work at FCNL and what experiences you would bring to advance the work of the organization.
- Transcript(s) from each post-secondary institution from which you hold a degree (if applicable). (Transcripts may be unofficial. FCNL may ask for an official transcript at a later date.)
- Resume (including education, work, extracurricular, and volunteer experience).
- Two letters of recommendation from your references. Letters are due on the day that applications are due, February 7, 2021. No exceptions will be made for late letters. Have your references send letters to Ashlee Morris at firstname.lastname@example.org, with the subject line “Recommendation: [applicant last name]” .
The deadline for all applications and materials is February 7, 2022. Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
For more information, contact YFProgram@fcnl.org.
At FCNL, we embrace having a multitude of voices and talents working together to strengthen our impact in the world. In keeping with the Quaker testimony of equality, we strive to be an organization that welcomes, values and respects the different perspectives of every individual. We are actively soliciting applicants from different ethnic, racial, sexual orientation, gender identity and religious backgrounds.