Reporting to the Senior Accountant, the Staff Accountant is an integral part of the Finance and Administration team. The Staff Accountant provides support to the Accounting Manager and Controller to ensure that FCNL’s financial management is performed in accordance with organizational guidelines, best accounting practices and that work is done as efficiently and effectively as possible.
This role can be performed either in the office or partially remotely. There may be times when the employee is required to come into the office for events or to complete special projects
At FCNL, we embrace having a multitude of voices and talents working together to strengthen our impact in the world. In keeping with the Quaker testimony of equality, we strive to be an organization that welcomes, values, and respects the different perspectives of every individual. We are actively soliciting applicants from all ethnic, racial, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, and religious backgrounds.
FCNL lobbies from a basis of spiritual and ethical purpose and seeks to change government policy and practice for the better, playing a key role in lobbying initiatives on Capitol Hill that focus on racial and economic justice, peace, stewardship of the environment, and election integrity.
FCNL’s lobbyists build extensive connections with congressional offices and conduct focused legislative campaigns on the following current priorities: peacebuilding, human rights, nuclear disarmament and non-proliferation, curtailing endless war, cutting Pentagon spending, criminal justice reform, immigration reform, gun control, solutions to climate change, economic justice, and Native American issues. FCNL and Friends approach each of these priorities by identifying, exposing, and working to eliminate institutional racism, sexism, and militarism in order to promote genuine equality of opportunity and communities in which everyone can safely live, learn, work, worship and love.
FCNL’s dedicated grassroots network brings constituent perspectives into congressional offices—both in Washington at two major lobbying events each year, and in local district offices. FCNL informs and educates its network through newsletters and collateral materials and activates its grassroots network through a robust website, email, and social media outreach.
FCNL’s national network includes people from many different faiths and backgrounds who are activists and donors. The organization is dedicated to growing the network with a particular emphasis on building effective relationships as a path to policy change. In the past three years, FCNL increased the number of in-person visits from its constituents to legislators by 50 percent. Headquartered on Capitol Hill in Washington, DC, FCNL is governed by a General Committee of 190 Quakers from across the country and employs a staff of about 55, including 20 registered lobbyists.
FCNL has brought Quaker values to bear on national policy throughout its 75-year history through congressional testimony, Capitol Hill visits, grassroots lobbying, and educational initiatives. Its strategic direction in the coming years is to create a bigger presence for FCNL—through media and marketing, as well as through its growing and vibrant network of activists.
Key Priorities and Responsibilities
- Performs assigned monthly accounting closing process. Informs constituents regarding all accounting issues to complete this process on a timely basis.
- Manages accounts payable, including preparing invoices for payment and printing checks, research of bill payment status, annual preparation of 1099s and changes in vendor information.
- Provides staff training on all functions of accounts payable.
- Prepares bi-weekly payroll from time entry system and HR reports. Creates payroll journal entries.
- Supports staff time entry function, including time sheet communications, training and updating projects in the payroll and accounting systems
- Reconciles monthly credit card reports.
- Assists the Accounting Manager with state charitable registrations.
- Actively involved with annual financial audit under supervision of Accounting Manager.
- Manages and coordinates various projects as assigned by Accounting Manager.
- Assist in enhancing and the implementation of finance policies and consistent accounting practices; improve the finance department’s overall policy and procedure manual.
- Collaborate with accounting staff in cross-training functions.
- Prepare other financial analyses and special one-time projects as requested by the Accounting Manager.
This description outlines the general nature of the duties that a person in this position is expected to perform. It is expected that the employee will perform other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Experience and Attributes
- Accounting knowledge and 2-5 years relevant accounting experience. Business/accounting degree preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to work with Microsoft Office Suite, and a computerized general ledger and accounts payable system. (previous experience with Blackbaud’s Financial Edge General Ledger, Accounts Payable, and Raiser’s Edge desirable)
- Excellent organizational, problem-solving and communication skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure and to deal readily with constant change as well as fixed routines.
- General interest in legislative issues and public policy; comfortable with FCNL statement of legislative policy.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary starts at $50,000 and is negotiable based on skills and experience, and in relation to other similarly sized non-profits in the Washington, D.C. market. Robust benefits package includes health, dental, vision, life, short- and long-term disability, generous retirement plan contribution, paid time off plus holidays, parental leave, and more.
FCNL is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability status, genetic information, military service, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.