Director of Finance
The American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) seeks an experienced executive to serve as their Director of Finance.
ASPET is a 4,000-member scientific society whose members conduct basic and clinical pharmacological research and work in academia, government, industry, and non-profit organizations. ASPET members conduct research leading to the development of new medicines and therapeutic agents to fight existing and emerging diseases.
ASPET’s mission is to be the professional home for educators, students, researchers, healthcare practitioners, and others working to advance pharmacological sciences and increase the impact and influence of this scientific discipline. ASPET is looking for a Director of Finance to serve as a key member of the senior staff management team.
The Director of Finance will report to the Executive Officer and assume a strategic role in the overall management of the organization. This position will have primary responsibility for planning, implementing, managing and controlling all financial activities of the society including financial reporting, budgeting, forecasting, audit oversight, cash management, investment oversight, tax, internal controls, and the day-to-day accounting function.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Manages the day-to-day accounting functions including but not limited to: Accounts payable, including positive pay management, cash management, receipts and deposits, payroll, reconciliations, journal entries, and estimates.
- Prepares income statements, managerial and program reports, both numerical and narrative, and annual financial statements.
- Prepares the annual operating budget and current year forecasts in coordination with ASPET staff. Conducts periodic reviews of budget versus actual performance monitoring anticipated revenues and expenses. Advises program managers of problems and potential solutions.
- Arranges annual audit with the independent auditing firm. Plans and coordinates the completion of the audit and presents the statements to the Finance Committee, Council, and the Membership as requested.
- Oversees non-accounting staff in activities such as the processes for membership renewal, member retention, and works with the Finance Committee and Council to set member dues rates.
- Establishes and maintains sound internal controls for processing, recording, and approval of financial data and for safeguarding the assets of the association. Recommends financial policies, procedures, and systems.
- Manages and monitors long-term investment portfolio in accordance with ASPET Investment Policy approved by the Council and reports on long-term investment portfolio activity and investment management companies.
- Monitors restricted and unrestricted fund accounts and programs funded from those accounts, including allocations and restriction release.
- Ensures that all tax returns as required by applicable federal and state laws are prepared and filed timely.
- Arranges and manages all banking relationships.
- Arranges for and/or monitors all insurance policies. Oversees ASPET risk management and contract services for all applicable compliance and integrity.
- Advises all departments with regards to product pricing, contract negotiation, accounting, budgeting, financial analysis, and related activities.
- Serves as staff liaison to the Council, Finance Committee, and Investment Subcommittee
- Provides administrative oversight and strategic vision to all programs. Participates in development of the strategic direction of the Society.
- Travel to annual meeting, finance and council meetings required.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s or Master’s in Accounting
- CPA required and knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- At least 8 years of progressive financial management experience in a nonprofit at the managerial level required
- Knowledge of MIP Fund Accounting (Community Brands) preferred
- Bank of America Cashpro experience preferred
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills plus be able to present to the Council and Finance Committee
- Must have strong analytical skills and knowledge of business management
- Must have expert level skills with accounting systems and Excel
- Must be proficient in Word and Access
- Must have supervisory and interpersonal skills
This position offers a competitive salary with exceptional benefits that include a 403(b)-retirement plan; paid time off; medical, dental and vision insurance plans; flexible spending account; life and short- and long-term disability insurance.
This position is located in Rockville, Maryland and in walking distance to the Metro and on major bus lines.
For more information and to apply, visit http://www.faseb.org/employment. Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements.
To learn more about ASPET, please visit www.aspet.org
ASPET is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.