Canam Steel Corporation is a major US manufacturer of open web steel joists and steel deck. The company participates in thousands of projects each year ranging from large distribution centers and high rise projects, to small retail centers. The steel joist business in the US began as a partnership with Canam Group and our steel deck business was launched by an acquisition of the United Steel Deck brand in 2010. The Corporation currently operates six fabrication facilities, several sales and engineering offices, and employs approximately 900 people across the United States.
JOB SUMMARY: The Plant Controller provides financial leadership for the MidAtlantic area and acts as the accounting/finance partner for operations management. The Plant Controller will be responsible for maintaining a control environment that complies with the Company’s internal control policies. The Plant Controller is expected to be a dynamic leader on the plant leadership team by contributing to all areas of plant management.
Key responsibilities will include, but are not limited to, managing the month-end close process, providing operational and Corporate locations with financial reporting in all related areas such as inventories, fixed assets and production costing.
· The Plant Controller strongly supports Safety, Health, and Environmental Standards for an injury free work environment
· Fosters and ensures a culture which enables a safe and secure work environment for all employees, contractors and visitors, showing a passion and caring for people
Financial Operations & Controls
· Ensures there is an effective and efficient system of internal controls including data integrity, asset protection, segregation of duties, budgeting, financial reporting, information systems and adherence to corporate policies and governmental regulations (GAAP, SOX compliance, etc.)
· Leads and coaches the plant management team to ensure that accountability for internal controls is clear and processes are documented
· Establishes, modifies, documents, and coordinates implementation of accounting and accounting control procedures with corporate following corporate standards & policies.
· Provides guidance to ensure that internal accounting controls are in place to protect company assets
· Ensures an adequate system of internal control is maintained, and support to corporate accounting that general ledger accounts are reconciled and correctly stated.
Reporting and Analysis
· Directs and manages all financial and accounting functions for plant
· Develops financial goals in partnership with plant and corporate leadership
· Leads financial planning, budgeting and forecasting processes including the accuracy of standard costs, month end closing and the plant financial forecasts and projections
· Accountable for the explanation of the plant performance, explaining all production variances on a monthly basis as well as participating in the proactive measures to reduce variances from standard cost.
· Reports variances to set standards in a manner that supervisors and managers can understand and take corrective action.
· Ensures that plant goals and initiatives are developed in line with company values, strategic goals, and business plans
· Prepares and tracks CAPEX budget in comparison to actuals, along with disposal & cycle counts of assets.
Leadership and Business Partnership
· Participate as a key business partner to Plant Management teams, contributing to plant strategy development and execution of annual plans that drive improvements.
· Proactively participates in plant operations via internal meetings, interaction with staff and hourly employees, walk the floor, advocate safety, …
· Work across organization boundaries and all levels of the company to achieve plant, division and/or corporate objectives
· Collaborates with & supports plant support staff in various areas to include but not limited to purchasing and inventory.
· Provides support to the financial information technology team to implement all new systems.
· Furnishes management (General Manager, Corp Controller, CFO) with guidance pertaining to the organization's financial procedures and day to day operations.
· May perform other duties as required.
· Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
· Experience (3-7 years) in an accounting role with a manufacturing or industrial company, plant controller experience a plus.
· Strong working knowledge of project and product costing preferred.
· Good working knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
· Good understanding of inventory accounting.
· Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to seek resources as needed.
· Collaborative interpersonal skills with the ability to build and maintain effective relationships at all levels of the organization.
· Results-oriented focus and approach.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
· Strong proficiency in ERP environment and Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Outlook and Access).
· Ability to drive process improvement.
· Ability to prioritize and work independently on a variety of assignments with minimal supervision.
· Must understand process flows and have an exceptional understanding of process capabilities within their facilities.
· CPA or CMA or on track for designation a plus
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.