AMRIS Reference No: 4741
Contract Term: Indeterminate
Term Details: This position is an LES (Locally Engaged Staff) position, subject to the Terms and Conditions of Employment for LES in United States
Mission: Embassy of Canada in Washington, USA
Number of Vacancies: 1
Schedule: Full Time
Job Category: Administration
Salary: 67,220.00 USD plus benefits
Location: Washington, United States
Close date: 27/12/2021 11:59PM UTC / GMT
Language(s) of the interview: English
Summary of Duties
Under general supervision of the Common Service Officer, the Payroll Administrator performs and oversees payroll and payroll administration functions for locally engaged staff in Washington, D.C. and throughout the United States network: by analyzing, preparing, and inputting payroll data, and preparing reports for management, such as those indicating gross payroll, tax deductions, and benefit deductions. He /she provides accounting and reconciliation support for benefits administration and compiles financial information related to the mission budget. Other duties may include providing administrative support for the LES Human Resources Portal, as well as working on special/cyclical projects aligned with HR program objectives.
The incumbent develops and maintains effective liaison with clients in other sections of the Embassy and clients in other Missions throughout the United States in order to obtain and provide information, advice, and assistance. Extensive Excel experience, attention to detail and accuracy, especially with numbers, and a dependable and flexible approach to work will be critical for success in the role.
Area of Selection
Open to applicants who are legal residents or citizens of the United States who are:
- living in the greater Washington D.C. Metropolitan area;
- employees of the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C.;
- spouses and dependents of Canada-based staff at the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C.; or
- employees of a Canadian Mission in the United States;
who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date. Please note that the Embassy of Canada in Washington, D.C will not reimburse relocation costs under any circumstance and that the Embassy does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly. The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
This selection process is open to internal and external applicants who are legal residents or citizens of United States, who meet all of the essential requirements stated below, and whose applications are received by the closing date. Please note that the Embassy of Canada in Washington, USA does not sponsor work authorizations directly or indirectly.
The Government of Canada is an equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from diverse sections of the community. Candidates will be considered on merit regardless of ethnic origin, religious belief, gender, age, sexual orientation, disability or any other irrelevant factor.
Candidates will initially be screened against the Essential Qualifications relating to education, experience and language. Candidates must clearly demonstrate in their cover letter and CV how they meet each of these essential qualifications.
- A degree from an accredited college or university;
- OR an acceptable combination of education, training/certification, and work experience related to the duties and specific areas of competence required by the position.
- Fluency in English (oral and written)
- At least one year of recent experience in accounting, finance or banking.*
- Experience using advanced skills in Excel.
*recent means within the last 5 years
The Rated Requirements relating to knowledge, abilities and competencies will also be assessed. Methods of assessment may include, but are not limited to, a written examination, an oral in-person, remote or recorded interview, a role-play, practical tests, a presentation and/or psychometric assessment.
- Knowledge of payroll, general accounting or financial transactions principles, including but not limited to, basic payroll calculations, laws relating to payroll legislation and regulations; and
- Knowledge of benefits reconciliation and administration.
- Reconcile data to identify errors and correct for accurate records;
- Perform data entry, processing with speed and precision in a high-volume, automated environment;
- Prioritize multiple tasks to meet established and changing deadlines;
- Create and maintain complex Excel spreadsheets to; audit worksheets; analyze data; import and export data; create pivot tables and reporting.
- Adaptable and flexible to meet payroll deadlines;
- High attention to detail and focus on quality;
- Discretion to maintain confidentiality of information;
- Collegial / team work; and
- The ability to work in French.
- Certifications, such as Accounting, CEBS, PHR.
- Experience with IMS, SAP, SAGE(ABRA), or other payroll systems.
Normal hours of work for this position are in accordance with the Locally Engaged Staff (LES) regulations of 37.5 hours per week. Current operational hours are 8:30-4:30 with an unpaid 30-minute lunch break. The incumbent may be required to work overtime on an as-needed basis.
The position requires a willingness and ability to work occasional overtime on evening and weekends, as required.
Conditions of Employment
Eligibility for a Government of Canada Reliability Status which includes a criminal and credit background check;
Have authorization to work in the United States in a foreign mission (US Citizens, Legal Permanent Residents or A, G or NATO-2 category visa-holders);
All new hires on or after the effective date of October 6, 2021 are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment and to attest that they are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to their starting date unless accommodation measures are granted.
Special Request from Mission/Additional Comments:
Candidates will receive a competitive salary, generous leave, 12 weeks of paid parental leave and a strong benefits package that includes medical, dental, long term disability and a retirement savings plan. Please find a summary of our benefits package and information on employment eligibility at:
Important Notes How to apply:
- Applications will only be considered when received through our Job Opportunities Portal (http://www.wfca-tpce.com/vacancyView.php?requirementId=4741)
- Candidates are required to upload a CV and cover letter in English or French.
- Applications which do not include the requested documents or information will be rejected.
- Any additional information must be included as part of these two attachments.
- Candidates who are unable to submit their application due to technical difficulties must report these to LES-E-Recruitment-WSHDC@international.gc.ca prior to the closing date. Failure to so will result in the application being rejected.
- Please do not use a tablet or cell phone to submit your application, as mobile browsers are not supported by our portal. Candidates should only apply using a laptop or desktop computer.
- Only applications submitted in one of the official languages of Canada will be accepted (English or French).
- Communication for this process will be sent via email. It is the responsibility of the candidates to ensure accurate contact information is provided and updated as required.
- Candidates must provide an email address that accepts email from unknown users and regularly check their email, including spam folder.
- The Government of Canada does not reimburse any travel costs to and from interviews/exams nor does it reimburse any relocation costs.
- The results of this recruitment process may also be used to establish an eligibility list of qualified candidates for similar openings at the missions. This list might arise in the 12 months following the completion of this recruitment process.
- Candidates requiring any special assistance in attending exams or interviews are requested to inform us.
- Later in the process, reference checks will be sought for candidates who succeeded all of the assessments.
- Our organization offers an inclusive workplace where respect, teamwork, and collaboration are part of our culture. Canada’s missions abroad are committed to promoting and supporting an environment free from harassment and discrimination, as well as encouraging and supporting employees with accommodation needs.