Fairfax Water has an immediate opening for a Junior Operator. This position will perform routine operational and general maintenance tasks involved in the operation of water treatment plant equipment and facilities on a rotating shift basis.
Essential functions include:
- Making regular and continuous tours of the treatment plant facilities and monitoring the performance of operating equipment and the effectiveness of the treatment process. Reporting any unusual conditions to Lead Operator.
- Performing maintenance on chemical feeders, valves, pumps and other associated equipment.
- Collecting water samples and conducting laboratory tests to include pH, turbidity, chlorine, hardness, alkalinity, color and other related tests at prescribed stages and time intervals in the treatment cycle.
- Assisting in the reading and recording of information observed and obtained from computers, lab tests, meters, gauges and other instruments during shift operations.
- Entering recorded data into computer systems to monitor treatment effectiveness.
- Under the direction of a Lead Operator, assisting with the adjustment of chemical feeders, start/stop motors, pumps and other treatment equipment to control the physical, chemical and microbiological characteristics of water purification.
- Writing maintenance notifications as required. Submitting appropriate operational reports to the Lead Operator including unusual activities or incidents requiring attention or corrective action.
Graduation from high school or GED. Candidates should have the ability to learn the technical process relating to water purification including the accurate reading, interpreting and recording of instrumentation and laboratory data. Successful candidates must obtain a Commonwealth of Virginia Class III Waterworks Operator’s license within two years and a Commonwealth of Virginia Class II Waterworks Operator’s license within 4 years of the date of employment, promotion or transfer as a condition of continued employment. “Fairfax Water requires new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to legally required exceptions.”
About Fairfax Water
Fairfax Water is a respected leader in the drinking water industry, supplying drinking water to nearly two million people in the communities of Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Herndon, Vienna, Alexandria, Falls Church, and Fairfax City. We are Virginia’s largest water utility and one of the 25 largest water utilities in the country, serving one of every five Virginians who obtain their water from public utilities. We aim to uphold customer trust by providing water of exceptional quality and reliability at a reasonable price, supporting the high quality of life and economic vitality of Northern Virginia.
To review the full requirements for the position please go to our website at www.fairfaxwater.org and apply online. Fairfax Water offers competitive salaries as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including excellent health insurance, tuition reimbursement, flexible spending accounts, and a defined benefit retirement plan.