Senior Accountant- #0002287a
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is a multi-mission science operations center for NASA’s flagship observatories. Our world-class astronomical research center is based on the Johns Hopkins University Homewood campus in Baltimore, Maryland. (Click here to learn more about STScI). STScI offers a flexible and welcoming workspace for all. (Click here to learn more about our culture)
The Business Resource Center (BRC) provides professional business services for Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) and our parent organization, the Association of Universities for Research in Astronomy, Inc. (AURA).
The Accounting Department, within BRC, is seeking a Senior Accountant to support reporting, analysis and internal control functions and to be a key resource for internal and external inquiries. The Senior Accountant will also lead STScI’s external audits as a primary point of contact.
- Acts as a primary point of contact for external audit activities and coordinates fieldwork and requests with internal staff for Fiscal and Health and Welfare audits
- Prepares the Health and Welfare financial statements
- Works closely with our Corporate office for the year-end consolidation process
- Performs internal control and special project functions as directed by Management and regularly assesses procedures for internal control changes and audit compliance
- Acts as a primary resource in the General Ledger, Billing, Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable functions
- Assists in the development of new accounting systems, system conversions, upgrades and testing
- Serves as an accounting resource to internal and external members and resolves complex accounting issues
- Provides mentoring and directs work
- Performs account reconciliations, journal entries, month-end closing and year-end closing functions
Required Education, Experience, Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related business field with emphasis in Accounting
- 5+ years of experience in the Accounting profession
- 3-5 years of Audit experience
- Knowledge of concepts, theories, principles, and practices of general accounting (GAAP)
- Knowledge of computerized accounting systems to include PC applications and General Ledger accounting software
- Ability to anticipate and resolve complex problems, exercise sound judgement, and plan, organize, and prioritize multiple demands efficiently and effectively
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office
Preferred Education, Experience, Skills and Qualifications
- Working knowledge of OMB Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles, and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards (Uniform Guidance); Federal Acquisition Regulations (FAR); and Cost Accounting Standards
- Working knowledge of Deltek Costpoint
- Certified Public Accountant or CPA candidate
The starting position and salary are commensurate with education and experience. Explore the amazing benefits: http://www.stsci.edu/opportunities/benefits This position can support telework 3-4 days a week and 1-2 days on-site.
TO APPLY: Share your experience by uploading a resume and completing an online
application. Applications received by December 10, 2021 will receive full consideration.
Applications received after this date will be considered until the position is filled.
COVID-19 Working Protocols- https://outerspace.stsci.edu/display/CWP
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce. Learn more at www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, color, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity.
STScI sees the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in our desire to create a first-rate scientific community. We reflect that deep commitment in strongly encouraging women, minorities, veterans and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities.
Veterans, disabled individuals or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.