Strategic Plan and Board of Governors Manager (SPM)
The Society for Developmental Biology (SDB), with an international membership of around 2,000, is a non-profit 501(c)3 organization, founded in 1939, incorporated in Ohio and headquartered in Rockville, Maryland, USA. It has a Board of Directors (BOD) with representatives from different regions of USA and Canada, Primarily Undergraduate Institutions, junior faculty, and trainee ranks. Several standing and ad hoc committees assist the BOD in the fulfillment of its mission.
In 2020, the BOD carried out a strategic planning exercise and prioritized several goals to be carried out in the next 5 years. Included was the creation of a new administrative and support position. The new staff member will be the Strategic Plan (SP) and Board of Governors (BOG) Manager (SPM) and will be tasked with managing the successful completion of the SP goals approved by the BOD. The SPM will work alongside the Strategic Planning Committee (SPC), will work with the Executive Director (ED), Executive Committee (EC) and BOD members to ensure progress towards the long-term goals outlined in the Strategic Plan. This will require the SPM to have intimate knowledge of the SP, its stated milestones, and the expected timelines for completion. The SPM will follow procedures to keep SP working groups on task and hold them accountable for completing their assigned duties. In addition, the SPM will coordinate and assist the BOG in fulfillment of their duties.
The SPM works across the organization and serves as the communication link with and among the BOG, ED and staff. The SPM will manage the development and delivery of governance standards and services; BOG member onboarding and training; manages day-to-day operations; and works directly with the key leaders of the organization to fulfill the goals of SP and BOG.
● Leads the execution of the SDB long term strategy and translates it for the BOD and the membership.
● Works with the SPC and the ED to plan and execute new strategic planning processes, and monitors and reports on progress of existing strategic plans.
● Identifies and receives deliverables.
● Monitors metrics for success and failure of initiatives.
● Communicates progress to the BOD and the membership, by developing communication materials, monitoring Key Performance Indicator (KPIs) or milestones, and preparing agendas for the SPC.
● Manages and provides support to aid SDB committees (see strategic plan working groups) as well as assists in budgeting of the projects.
● Assists organizational change forging synergies across the SDB.
● Establishes greater transparency and accountability for the SP working groups by carrying out the society’s strategic goals.
● Works with two new bodies within the Society, the ad hoc Strategic Planning Committee (SPC) and the Board of Governors (BOG).
● Serves as the key administrator for the BOG.
● Works with other SDB staff members and reports directly to the SDB President/ ED.
● Provides overall staff administration for the SDB BOG and ensures all activities are executed with the highest level of professionalism and integrity.
● Administers all BOG operations, including meetings, reporting, and appointments.
● Works with the ED to establish agendas and facilitates the smooth operation of BOG meetings.
● Establishes and cultivates professional relationships with BOG and members to support fiscal responsibility and further professional and effective decision-making.
● Maintains strict confidentiality on all appropriate legal and strategic matters.
● Works with BOG, BOD and ED to research potential donors and sponsors.
● Performs all other job-related duties as required or assigned by the President/ED.
This job description is not designed to provide a comprehensive listing of job requirements. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
SPM skills and qualifications:
- Master’s Degree in the biological sciences required. Ph.D. in the biological sciences preferred.
- Dynamic team player with effective and respectful interpersonal skills.
- Ability to take initiative to complete tasks within deadlines.
- Familiarity and experience working with scientists and academics.
- Full understanding of and support for the basic science research enterprise and culture.
- Experience in preparing presentations and organizing workshops.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Acrobat, Photoshop/Illustrator, or other graphics software
- Experience with Zoom and online communication platforms (social media, websites, etc.)
- Experience with grant searches and writing
- Maintains confidentiality of discussions held at the meetings and in all business interactions.
- Proven project management skills with evidence of progressively increasing level of responsibility and authority.
- Experience with non-profit organizations preferred.
- Experience with fundraising preferred.
Inclusive, collaborative, and respectful working environment
Competitive salary and excellent benefits
Telework is an option
Benefits: This is a full-time, exempt position. SDB offers exceptional benefits including professional development opportunities, 403(b) retirement, medical, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, and on-site free parking.
Location: This position is located in Rockville, Maryland and in walking distance to Metro and on major bus lines.
Please visit https://www.faseb.org/employment to apply with a resumé, cover letter and salary requirement.
To learn more about SDB, please visit: Society for Developmental Biology | Home (sdbonline.org)
SDB is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States.