Program Specialist I
Program Specialist I
Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection
Montgomery County Government
$48,566 - $80,086
The mission of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County's air, water, and land in a sustainable, innovative, inclusive, and industry-leading way while fostering smart growth, a thriving more sustainable economy and healthy communities.
DEP is seeking 2 individuals to serve as a waste reduction and recycling education specialist assisting either multi-family properties (apartments and condominiums) or non-residential properties (businesses, organizations and government facilities) in developing and improving their on-site waste reduction, reuse and recycling programs and initiatives, in compliance with Montgomery County’s recycling and solid waste regulations. Employee will assist either multi-family properties or businesses, organizations and government facilities in implementing programs to increase recycling participation and achievement. The County’s goal is to reduce waste and recycle more, aiming for zero waste.
Job duties include:
• Developing and fostering partnerships with the multi-family residential community or business community by providing direct on-site services through conducting daily site visits to multi-family properties or businesses, organizations and government facilities;
• Evaluating on-site recycling, waste reduction, reuse and buying recycled programs;
• Identifying problems, challenges and opportunities to increased waste reduction and recycling;
• Collecting data and information about multi-family properties or businesses, organizations and government facilities and their on-site processes; and maintaining accurate data in a consistently timely, technically sound and professional manner.
• Determining and recommending short and long-term solutions using critical and analytical skills, including data evaluation and analysis;
• Working directly with multi-family property owners, managers, site staff and residents, or business and commercial property owners, managers, and employees in varied settings, teaching, training, communicating, and promoting waste reduction, reuse and recycling program requirements, as well as providing and/or delivering educational materials such as posters, brochures, flyers, stickers and recycling containers on a regular basis;
• Partnering with multi-family properties or businesses, organizations and government facilities and assisting them to implement program improvements in their on-site waste reduction and recycling programs to achieve more;
• Routinely planning, organizing, conducting, and participating in various educational and training events;
• Planning and meeting with multi-family property owners, site staff and residents or business owners, managers and employees, as well as governing bodies at association and organization meetings;
• Participating in County-wide community events and activities;
• Assisting in the development of educational materials and messages to increase waste reduction and recycling, including through the use of social media.
Experience: One (1) year professional experience in recycling or solid waste field, including experience providing direct education and technical assistance to residents.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
License: Possess and maintain at all times a valid Class "C" (or equivalent) driver's license from the applicant's state of residence.
All applicants will be reviewed by OHR for minimum qualifications. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will be rated "Qualified," placed on the Eligible List, and may be considered for interview.
If selected for consideration for this position, you may be required to provide evidence that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities indicated on your resume.
Montgomery County Government offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HR/Recruitment/MCGCareers.html
and click on the “Search for Jobs at MCG" tab.
Read the full job description under the “General Professional" Job Category.
The requisition number is IRC52064.
Interested candidates must create an online account in order to apply.
This Recruitment Closes December 15, 2021.
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position,
which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Resume Preparation Tips
listed under the “Resources” tab on the Office of Human Resource’s MCG Careers webpage.