Program Specialist II
Program Specialist II (Recycling Volunteer Coordinator)
Montgomery County Department of Environmental Protection
Montgomery County Government
$55,971 - $92,211
The mission of the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) is to enhance the quality of life in our community by protecting and improving Montgomery County's air, water, and land in a sustainable, innovative, inclusive, and industry-leading way while fostering smart growth, a thriving more sustainable economy and healthy communities.
DEP is seeking an experienced individual to coordinate our Recycling Volunteer Program in the Recycling and Resource Management Division in the Waste Reduction and Recycling Section. The County’s goal is to reduce waste and recycle more, aiming for zero waste.
The responsibilities of this position include:
• Providing education, training and technical assistance that support County waste reduction policies and practices to residents, multi-family and business properties, as well as to landscapers/lawn service contractors (practices include composting and grasscycling and other waste reduction initiatives)
• Coordinating program initiatives that encourage waste reduction, reuse and recycling by residents and employees in the County
• Managing the Recycling Volunteer Program, including recruiting, training, retaining and supervising volunteers at education events and activities
• Implementing efforts to maximize effectiveness of volunteer activities and coordinating and tracking recycling volunteer efforts
• Writing and distributing quarterly Recycletter (recycling newsletter)
• Assisting in development and design of materials and other resources supporting the County’s recycling program
• Distributing various materials and resources (such as recycling containers, compost bins and educational materials) for use by residents, multi-family and business and properties
• Participating in other special projects as needed
• Developing new strategies and innovative solutions to increase recycling by County residents
Position requires planning, organizing, conducting, and participating in numerous educational events. Knowledge of recycling and waste reduction issues necessary.
FREQUENT PRESENTATIONS/MEETINGS/EVENTS OFTEN OCCUR DURING EVENINGS AND/OR WEEKENDS, THUS NIGHT AND WEEKEND WORK ARE REGULARLY REQUIRED. This position requires possession of a valid driver’s license and the ability to drive a County vehicle to conduct and attend meetings and presentations, perform work at locations outside the office, and participate in other work-related duties.
Experience: Two (2) years professional experience in recycling or solid waste field, including experience providing direct education and technical assistance concerning recycling and/or solid waste to individuals or groups, one year of which must be managing a volunteer program.
Education: Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s Degree.
Equivalency: An equivalent combination of education and experience may be substituted.
License: Possess and maintain at all times a valid Class "C" (or equivalent) driver's license from the applicant's state of residence.
All applicants will be reviewed by OHR for minimum qualifications. Those applicants who meet minimum qualifications will be rated "Qualified," placed on the Eligible List, and may be considered for interview.
If selected for consideration for this position, you may be required to provide evidence that you possess the knowledge, skills, and abilities indicated on your resume.
Montgomery County Government offers competitive salaries and excellent benefits.
To view the complete job announcement and to apply, please visit our website at https://www.montgomerycountymd.gov/HR/Recruitment/MCGCareers.html
and click on the “Search for Jobs at MCG" tab.
Read the full job description under the “General Professional" Job Category.
The requisition number is IRC52066.
Interested candidates must create an online account in order to apply.
This Recruitment Closes December 15, 2021.
All resume submissions must address the preferred criteria for the position,
which are listed in the full advertisement, preferably in a separate section of the resume.
Applicants are strongly encouraged to review the Resume Preparation Tips
listed under the “Resources” tab on the Office of Human Resource’s MCG Careers webpage.