Senior Software Engineer- #0002273
Do you want to play a critical role in increasing humanity’s knowledge of the universe?
The Space Telescope Science Institute (STScI) is a multi-mission science operations center for NASA’s flagship observatories. Our world-class astronomical research center is based on the Johns Hopkins University Homewood Campus in Baltimore, Maryland. (Click here to learn more about STScI.) STScI offers a flexible and welcoming workspace for all. (Click here to learn more about our culture.)
STScI’s Instruments Division (INS) plays a critical role in enabling the worldwide astronomical community and maximizing science return of the Hubble Space Telescope (HST), the James Webb Space Telescope (JWST), and the Roman Space Telescope (RST). INS is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to help advance our state-of-the-art software. If you are a collaborative engineer excited to strengthen the operation of NASA’s flagship missions, then you want to join our team.
Your Role & Responsibilities:
- Contribute to the software development of multiple projects and applications using a broad range of technologies while employing software engineering best practices and principles
- Work under minimal supervision to solve complex problems, assess implementation details, and perform tasks to advance NASA mission goals
- Keep abreast of the software-development landscape and make recommendations for architectural approaches and technologies for new features or applications
- Work collaboratively on diverse teams that include other technical staff and domain experts (e.g., astronomers) of varying levels of seniority
- Provide mentorship and knowledge transfer to other INS staff
- Commit to continuous improvement and innovation
- Lead and work with others within small to medium-sized groups
- Effectively articulate technical challenges and solutions, both orally and in writing
Your Experience, Skills & Qualifications:
- Proficiency in the Python programming language
- Experience working in a Linux-based environment
- Experience with a distributed version control system such as Git
- Experience with Continuous Integration & Delivery workflows and testing automation
- Experience developing unit tests
- Experience mentoring other software engineers
- Experience estimating level of effort and developing implementation plans
- Experience with project scoping including resource estimate and developing implementation plans
- Experience with writing technical online documentation
Desirable, but not required
- Experience with agile development practices
- Experience with relational databases
- Experience with web development
- Experience with cloud computing services and techniques
- Experience with machine learning techniques
- Familiarity with Mac OS
****Individuals with experience from other fields who possess related basic qualifications are encouraged to apply. Substitution of additional relevant education or experience for stated qualifications will be considered****
A Bachelor's degree in an engineering or science discipline and a minimum of 8+ years of experience in software engineering or development. A Master's degree in an engineering or science discipline preferred but not required.
Must be a U.S. citizen or Permanent Resident for ITAR compliance.
The starting position and salary are commensurate with education and experience. We offer an excellent and generous benefits package (Click here to explore our benefits).
TO APPLY: Share your experience by uploading a resume and completing an online application. Applications received by January 15, 2022 will receive full consideration. Applications received after this date will be considered until the position is filled.
Direct link: Senior Software Engineer
Explore all career opportunities through our website at www.stsci.edu/opportunities
COVID Working Protocols: https://outerspace.stsci.edu/display/CWP
STScI embraces the diversity of our staff as a strategic priority in creating a first-rate community. We reflect this deep dedication in strongly encouraging women, ethnic minorities, veterans, and disabled individuals to apply for these opportunities (Click here to learn more about how we foster Diversity & Inclusion). Veterans, disabled individuals, or wounded warriors needing assistance with the employment process can contact us at email@example.com EOE/AA/M/F/D/V
AURA, as a leader in the astronomical community, is committed to diversity and inclusion. AURA develops and supports programs that advance our organizational commitment to diversity, broaden participation, and encourage the advancement of diversity throughout the astronomical scientific workforce www.aura-astronomy.org/diversity.asp
As a recipient of U.S. Government funding, AURA is considered a government contractor and is subject to Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action regulations. As an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer, AURA and all of the centers, do not discriminate based on race, sex, age, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity/gender identity expression, lawful political affiliations, veteran status, disability, and/or any other legally protected status under applicable federal, state, and local equal opportunity laws. The statements below as well as the requests for self-identification are required pursuant to these regulations. We encourage your participation in meeting these federal reporting requirements that are included for protection and to assist us in our record-keeping and reporting. Your responses are kept strictly confidential.