Senior Linux Engineer, IT Senior Engineer
Senior Linux Engineer, IT Senior Engineer
Position #: 106532
As a senior member of the Linux Administration team, the Senior Linux engineer is responsible for installation, optimization, integration, troubleshooting, backup, recovery, modification, security, and upgrading of IT systems and components to provide services that enable customers to effectively apply IT to business requirements. Working collaboratively with other Linux Administration staff, Platform Engineering, and other operational units, this role functions as a forward-thinking engineer and administrator who can also solve complex day-to-day IT problems. This person will need a strong background using Red Hat Enterprise Linux in physical and virtual environments, an understanding of architecture fundamentals, and utilizing automation technology like Puppet, Satellite, Gitlab, and AWS Cloud Formation. Utilizing these tools this person will deploy OS patches, provision new machines, manage configuration states, deploy new AWS solutions, and troubleshoot existing on-prem and cloud deployments, ensuring maximum uptime and service stability.
Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline.
Minimum of 5 years of relevant experience, including administration and management of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 or greater to include installation, configuration, optimization, backup, and recovery.
In-depth knowledge of Unix/Linux (RedHat) operating system internals, client/server computing techniques, distributed systems management concepts, server virtualization, and all aspects of computer communications
- Administration of Linux in both virtualized (VMware and/or AWS) and physical environments.
- Must be able to work concurrently on multiple projects, adjust to changes in priorities, and respond efficiently and effectively to emergency situations
- Must be able to participate in a 7/24/365 on-call rotation, working evenings and/or weekends outside of normal business hours
- Excellent problem solving, attention to detail, multitasking, communication, and complex troubleshooting skills
- Highly versed in Linux administration, best practices, and working in the CLI
- Knowledge of DevOps and CI/CD or modern application frameworks
- Ability to gather project requirements, develop detailed project plans, schedule and execute the project tasks
- Ability to create and deliver a clear and effective presentation to small groups (5-20 people)
- Effective written and verbal communication skills. Must assist, guide, and share information with technical and non-technical personnel
- Must be able to work well with others in a cooperative work environment
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or a related technical discipline
- Experience with management/deployment tools (Puppet, Satellite, Hiera, AWS Cloud Formation, etc).
- AWS Management experience (I.E.: Instance deployment, Cloud formation development, Stack updates/change-sets, AMI creation, etc)
- Red Hat RHCSA/RHCE or equivalent industry-standard certifications.
- AWS Certified Solutions Architect
- Administration of application middleware servers (i.e.: JBOSS, Tomcat, Apache).
- Ability to install, modify, integrate, and configure commercial and open source software applications and utilities.
- Familiarity with setting up and managing Kerberos, networked file systems and services
- Experience managing out-of-band HW service processors like iDRAC
- In-depth knowledge of TCP/IP, BIND, LDAP, and other core technologies such as NTP, iSCSI, SAN, NAS, etc.
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: may be required to lift and rack computing and storage equipment into data center racks and cabinets. Must be able to occasionally work in a data center environment where the ambient air temperature is 64-72 degrees. Available to work on weekends and holidays when necessary.
Best consideration date: 12/03/2021 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/90067
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu [return.umd.edu] and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.