Position #: 126807
The role of the Project Manager within the Division of Information Technology (DIT) is to plan, execute, and finalize projects according to deadlines and within budget. This includes acquiring resources and coordinating the efforts of team members and third-party contractors or consultants in order to deliver projects according to plan. The Project Manager will also assist in defining the project’s objectives and oversee quality control throughout its life cycle. The Project Manager is expected to manage multiple (2-3) high-level projects with minimal support.
In addition to managing internal and/or external projects, the Project Manager will support the continuous improvement cycle of the PMO. Activities may include identifying opportunities and facilitating improvements, creating or updating PMO assets, overseeing and/or supporting PMO service delivery, facilitating training of other DIT staff or students, attendance and facilitation of Community of Practice sessions, and/or other improvement or support efforts led by the PMO.
1.Bachelor’s degree required.
2. 4+ years experience in an IT project management/lead or related capacity
3. Experience at working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment is essential.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
For the Project Manager position, the following skills should be demonstrated consistently with minimal supervision:
- Ability to build a project plan (preferably in Smartsheet or related PM software)
- Ability to facilitate project planning activities and document outcomes in project charter for approval
- Ability to identify, document and escalate project risks, issues, action items and decisions in a manner which keeps momentum on those with project impacts
- Ability to facilitate project meetings by setting agendas, keeping participants on task, and recapping action items and decisions
- Ability to and experience with working both independently and in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
- Ability to conform to shifting priorities, demands and timelines through analytical and problem-solving capabilities.
- Ability to react to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Adept at conducting research into project-related issues and products.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks.
- Well-developed organizational skills and keen attention to detail
- PMP, CAPM or ITIL certification preferred
- Experience in higher education preferred
- Experience in IT settings preferred
- Experience with Smartsheet or similar PM tool
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
- Occasional evening and weekend work to meet deadlines.
- Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Dexterity of hands and fingers required to operate a computer keyboard or mouse, and to handle other computer components.
- Walking to partner and customer offices.
Best consideration date: 11/17/2021 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/89750 [ejobs.umd.edu]
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu [return.umd.edu] and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.