STEM Ready is a collaborative pathway program between Montgomery County Public Schools, Montgomery College, The Universities at Shady Grove (USG), and the University of Maryland, Baltimore County (UMBC). The STEM Ready Pathway is supported by the Talent Ready program and The Greater Washington Partnership and is designed to build and motivate and prepare students to meet the growing demands of the regional employers.
The Coordinator will assist students in Information Technology and Life Science academic and career pathways. The Coordinator will help students focus on developing career readiness skills, work-based learning experiences, industry credentials, and degree attainment. The Coordinator will provide program administration and case management support to 250+ underrepresented students in high demand, high growth IT and Life Science careers.
* Deliver “STEMpowerment” student services to leverage existing career readiness resources;
* Organize programs and assist in integrating classroom studies with continuous and advanced career-related workshops based on the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) career competencies and incorporate work experiences such as job-shadowing, internships, mentoring, and apprenticeships, with a special emphasis on Life Science and IT pathways and careers.
* Manage resources provided from each of the partner institutions, employers, and the community that are designed to specifically assist students in career pathways.
* Collaborate with regional employers that will result in work-based learning experiences for students supported by the Talent Ready and STEM Ready Projects.
* Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution of higher education required.
* Minimum 2 years of professional full-time equivalent experience related to coaching and/or counseling of diverse youth population and experience providing career-readiness related programming and/or college access support.
* Master’s degree preferred in Higher Education Administration, Counseling, Human Resources, Business or a closely related field;
* Career coaching certification by NACE, PARW/CC, NCDA or other professionally recognized certifying agency;
* Education, training, or certifications related to information technology.
* Previous professional experience and knowledge of the Montgomery County and State of Maryland regional business communities preferred.
* Professional experience obtained at the University System of Maryland, its partner institutions, and/or regional higher education centers highly preferred.
* Previous professional experience and knowledge of Information Technology and/or Life Science Fields.
* Previous professional experience with outreach and/or public relations experience working with minors, parents, adult learners and community leaders.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Direct service delivery experience working with youth population.
* Experience working with students, faculty, employers and community organizations in identifying available job opportunities, internships and career experiences.
* Experience in facilitating workshops related to job search process including resume and cover letter writing.
* Experience utilizing career assessment tools, on-line career planning tools, resources and reporting and data analysis tools.
* Experience supporting students in IT academic and career pathways.
* Ability to incorporate labor market information into career decision making process.
* Knowledge of career development theories and job search strategies.
* Knowledge of the National Association of Colleges and Employers (NACE) career competencies and experience using those competencies to develop programmatic goals;
* Strong written and oral communication skills.
* Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships in order to work effectively with a wide range of constituencies in a diverse community.
* Extended periods of computer work, physical activities include set up and break down of events, and standing for long periods of time and travel to various locations ( i.e. to attend outreach events, employer events, community events, etc.) Ability to lift 25+ lbs.
* Ability to work some evening and occasional Saturday hours also required. Additional Information: This is a contractual grant funded position. To apply for this position, please visit : https://ejobs.umd.edu