Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc. (NYSE:ARE) is an urban office REIT uniquely focused on world-class collaborative science and technology campuses in AAA innovation cluster locations. Alexandria pioneered this niche in 1994 and has since established a dominant market presence in key regions, including Greater Boston, San Francisco, New York City, San Diego, Seattle, Maryland, and Research Triangle. Alexandria is known for its high-quality and diverse tenant base. Alexandria has a longstanding and proven track record of developing Class A assets clustered in urban science and technology campuses that provide its innovative tenants with highly dynamic and collaborative environments that enhance their ability to successfully recruit and retain world-class talent and inspire productivity, efficiency, creativity, and success. For additional information on Alexandria, please visit www.are.com.
We are in search of an experienced Building Engineer for a position that is located in a first class, Biotech facility at a flagship property. This individual will be responsible for maintaining the integrity of all building systems, operate the building in an efficient manner, and perform a variety of tenant services while maintaining positive tenant relations in accordance with the Company's established operational and safety procedures.
The Company is an equal opportunity employer and consider all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions, marital or registered domestic partner status, family-care status, veteran or military status, age, national origin or ancestry, disability, medical condition, genetic information, sexual orientation, or any category protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspects buildings and equipment to detect malfunctions and needed repair, making notes using Angus work order system
- Performs minor electrical maintenance to include but not be limited to replacement or repair of fixtures (e.g. wall switches and outlets, incandescent and fluorescent bulbs and tubes, ballast, sockets, fuses, minor appliances, cords, etc.) using appropriate hand, power and specialty tools
- Performs minor plumbing maintenance (e.g. replacement or repair of leaks in drains and faucets, unclogging of drains, trenching and laying new lines, replacing drain hoses on washers and similar devices, etc.)
- Performs minor painting, carpentry and masonry work (e.g. preparing surfaces and using brush, sprayer, or roller to apply paints, stains, and varnishes, hanging doors, fitting locks and handles, etc.)
- Prepares the surfaces and paints various structures and equipment floors, roofs, doors, restroom facilities, etc.) to preserve wood and metal parts from corrosion and maintain a safe, comfortable working environment using various painting equipment and related tools
- Periodically inspects building and equipment to determine necessary preventative maintenance needed, notes malfunctioning equipment, building cleanliness, and consults with the Chief Engineer regarding such conditions
- Will perform the physical duties required to correct emergency conditions such as sewer back-ups, water flooding into building office space, and related incidents. Physical duties not only entail corrective action but include cleaning up during and after the condition is resolved if such situation takes place other than the period in which custodial service employees are available
- Ensure compliance with OSHA health and safety
- Possess the ability to obtain a steam engineers license
- Will be on call once every 6 weeks
- Performs other work related duties as assigned
Qualifications and Experience:
- Commercial Lab Building Maintenance experience
- Biotech facility experience desired
- Experience with Siemens control systems
- Required to climb ladder, lift 15 lbs, some manual dexterity to hold and use hand tools
- Must possess a willingness to assist with all phases of building maintenance and operation
- Must already possess or be in process of obtaining Stationary Engineer’s license.