Supervisor, Instrumentation - North
Fairfax Water has an immediate opening for a Supervisor, Instrumentation - North. Under general supervision of the Manager, Information & Operations Technology, supervises and coordinates the daily operations and activities of Instrumentation Technicians engaged in the installation, calibration, servicing, modification and repair of plant instrumentation, process control equipment, and electronic systems used in the production and distribution of water. Supervises and coordinates the daily operations and activities of Instrumentation Technicians are also involved in the design, building, and implementation of new SCADA and process control systems used in the production and distribution of water. Function as the SAP planner/scheduler for the Instrumentation Department.
Essential functions include:
- Developing, scheduling, and overseeing the preventive maintenance program for the Instrumentation Department. Setting up preventive maintenance plans and establishing scheduling parameters within SAP.
- Assisting with the development of the safety program including, but not limited to, the use of tools, equipment and materials. Providing routine safety meetings.
- Assigning work to Instrumentation Technicians and assuring all work shifts, including after-hours on call, are adequately staffed.
- Providing training and instruction to junior technicians in techniques, operating practices and safety regulations.
- Identifying, estimating costs, selecting and ordering all materials and equipment necessary to maintain an efficient and economical operation.
- Supervising, participating in and inspecting all major repairs, installations and maintenance of a variety of equipment including, but not limited to PLCs (programmable logic controllers,) flow and pressure meters, water quality monitoring devices, analyzers, variable frequency drives, PID loop controllers, conventional and networked valve actuators, networking devices, and all instrumentation and process control devices associated with the production and monitoring of ozone (O3.)
- Scheduling and organizing Instrumentation activities with other departments through SAP.
Assists with the modification and upgrading of existing equipment to meet new standards.
Provides technical assistance in the planning of new equipment and the review of technical drawings and specifications prepared by consultants.
Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Associates Degree in Applied Science with a concentration in Electronics or Instrumentation, and a minimum of ten years progressively responsible experience in process control, instrumentation, and electronic equipment maintenance, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and knowledge.
- Thorough knowledge of the methods, practices, equipment, and tools used in electronic and instrumentation equipment repair.
- Thorough knowledge of electronic theory and of the function and maintenance of process control instrumentation and electronic equipment. Thorough knowledge of the function, maintenance, and programming of PLCs (programmable logic controllers).
- Good knowledge of safety regulations and accident prevention practices.
- Experience diagnosing and correcting complex instrumentation, electronic, and electrical malfunctions. Ability to diagnose and correct complex process control problems.
- A thorough overall understanding of the water production and distribution process.
- A thorough understanding of the SAP role of planner/scheduler.
- Experience supervising the work of others.
- Possession of a valid driver’s license with a good driving record.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment. This position is also subject to random testing after hire.
- “Fairfax Water requires new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to legally required exceptions.”
About Fairfax Water
Fairfax Water is a respected leader in the drinking water industry, supplying drinking water to nearly two million people in the communities of Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Herndon, Vienna, Alexandria, Falls Church, and Fairfax City. We are Virginia’s largest water utility and one of the 25 largest water utilities in the country, serving one of every five Virginians who obtain their water from public utilities. We aim to uphold customer trust by providing water of exceptional quality and reliability at a reasonable price, supporting the high quality of life and economic vitality of Northern Virginia.
To review the full requirements for the position please go to our website at www.fairfaxwater.org and apply online. Fairfax Water offers competitive salaries as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including excellent health insurance, tuition reimbursement, flexible spending accounts, and a defined benefit retirement plan.