Content Licensing and Sales Manager
The American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) is a 4,000-member scientific society whose members conduct basic and clinical pharmacological research and work for academia, government, large pharmaceutical companies, small biotech companies, and non-profit organizations. Our members' research efforts help develop new medicines and therapeutic agents to fight existing and emerging diseases.
ASPET is seeking a Content Licensing and Sales Manager to manage institutional and consortia sales, site licenses, single-article sales, promotion, and marketing for ASPET’s wholly owned journals. Oversees the subscription fulfillment operation. Manages and evaluates relationships with outside sales organizations. Develops customer service strategies.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages partnerships with sales channel partners worldwide for growth and retention of institutional, corporate, and consortia accounts. Analyzes performance and recommends changes in partnerships when appropriate.
- Provides sales partners with subscription data as requested.
- Modifies and reviews licensing agreements with academic institutions, corporate subscribers, and consortia; and with vendor partners to make ASPET’s content available through discovery services while safeguarding the copyright of the journals and increasing revenue streams.
- Provides revenue details to finance department to ensure proper recognition of revenue.
- Monitors the business interactions with content delivery services such as the Copyright Clearance Center and Reprints Desk.
- Identifies additional vendors to achieve content delivery and revenue goals.
- Attends relevant meetings and conferences (where cost effective) and utilizes other resources to stay informed of market trends in content licensing, delivery, technology, and policy to provide recommendations and action plans on potential product partnerships and policy issues for ASPET.
- Analyzes usage and subscription data to identify strategic account planning and recommend future year and new product pricing. Proactively recommends future promotional activities to support maintenance and growth through sales initiatives.
- Coordinates the sales life cycle from inquiry, quote, invoice, license review, account activation, and data analysis through renewal.
- Handles inquiries from institutional subscribers regarding questions of payment, access, and other problems.
- Handles subscription agent inquiries regarding business issues.
- Handles access issues for members.
- Manages online fulfillment, consortia pricing, multi-site pricing, pay-per-view, and other online revenue streams.
- Develops and maintains customer service strategies for online journals.
- Assists Journals department with other duties as assigned, such as web site and social media updates, and other editorial tasks.
- Develops and maintains effective networking with peers in other biomedical and life science publications; stays abreast of innovations as they occur in professional scientific/association publishing.
Position may be reassigned, and responsibilities may be modified or changed at any time to fulfill organizational requirements.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, business, or library science - required or Master’s in Library Science – preferred, or equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Minimum of four (4) years of relevant work experience
- Some travel required
- Ability to manipulate databases
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills
- Excellent customer service, interpersonal and phone skills
- Knowledge of subscription fulfillment, multi-site licensing, content sales
- Ability to take initiative, conceptualize ideas and follow through
- Decision making skills
- Negotiation skills
- Proficient in Excel, MS Word, and PowerPoint
This is a full-time, non-exempt position. ASPET offers exceptional benefits including professional development opportunities, 403(b) retirement, medical, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability.
This position is located in Rockville, Maryland and in walking distance to Metro and on major bus lines.
For more information and to apply, visit http://www.faseb.org/employment. Please send a cover letter and salary requirements with your resume.
To learn more about ASPET, please visit www.aspet.org
ASPET is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.