Data Integrity Manager
The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB) is an international nonprofit scientific and educational organization. With over 10,000 members, made up of students, researchers, educators, and industry professionals, the ASBMB is one of the largest molecular life science societies in the world.
ASBMB is seeking a Data Integrity Manager that will respond to all serious allegations of misconduct, plays a pivotal role in the handling and resolution of such cases. Oversee all correspondence regarding potential misconduct in all ASBMB publications and oversee all decisions in accordance with ASBMB policies.
- Ensure that procedures follow ASBMB policies consistently
- Make recommendations for additional policies or changes to existing policies for managing manuscript issues consistently
- Update policies accordingly
- Oversee all correspondence between authors, the ASBMB and, on occasion, authors’ institutions to facilitate accurate, timely resolution of cases
- Keep track of case status
- Follow up with unresponsive authors in a timely fashion
- Maintain case files
- Write and/or help authors write corrections and withdrawals
- Prepare case files for the ASBMB Publications Committee and the ASBMB Council for presentation in conjunction with the Publications Director.
- Review manuscripts that may breach ASBMB’s ethics policies
- Provide initial review to determine if allegations merit further investigation
- Analyze figures for identification of inappropriate manipulations
- Review materials resubmitted by authors in response to investigations and advise leadership on their accuracy
- Use plagiarism software as necessary
- Inform and participate in recommendations for cases resolution
- Achieve best practices regarding compliance with ASBMB policies
- Maintain case statistics
- Stay up to date on the best practices of publication ethics and publishing standards within the scientific community
- Other tasks as necessary related to ensuring compliance with ASBMB policies
- Other duties as assigned
Position may be reassigned, and responsibilities may be modified or changed at any time to fulfill organizational requirements.
Skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in the biological sciences plus graduate-level courses in biological sciences. Ph.D. in Life Sciences preferred
- Familiarity with a range of biomedical techniques, including those that generate images, such as Western blotting and microscopy
- Familiarity with the use of human and animal subjects and attendant regulations in biomedical research
- Familiarity with the peer-review process and with publication ethics concepts
- Excellent organizational, writing, interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Ability to develop a firm understanding of ASBMB policies and follow guidelines in handling cases
- Excellent computer skills: ability to learn new applications quickly especially focused on image analysis
- Ability to recommend policy improvements to governance
- Ability to meet deadlines
- Able to relocate to Rockville, Maryland. This position is not eligible for remote work.
This position offers a competitive salary with exceptional benefits that include a 403(b)-retirement plan; generous paid time off; medical, dental and vision insurance plans; flexible spending; life and short- and long-term disability insurance; and more. Close to metro and bus service with Company sponsored parking.
To apply, please go to www.faseb.org/employment. Attach cover letter and a resume with salary requirements.
To learn more about ASBMB, please visit www.asbmb.org
ASBMB is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.