The American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (ASBMB) is an international nonprofit scientific and educational organization. With over 10,000 members, made up of students, researchers, educators, and industry professionals, the ASBMB is one of the largest molecular life science societies in the world.
ASBMB is seeking a Science Editor that focuses on outreach to editors and authors and identifying potential new topics of scientific interest for the Society’s Journal portfolio. The Science Editor also focuses on promotion and dissemination of research findings within the Society’s Journal portfolio.
The Science Editor contributes to enriching the existing content of the Society’s Journal portfolio. They will work together with the editors and ASBMB staff to identify topic areas for content recruitment; they will attend conferences and additional meetings to represent the Journals and identify potential authors to engage with. They will develop specialty content on an ad-hoc basis, disseminate and promote research findings from the journals.
- Works with the Society departments staff and editors to curate content for the journal websites and marketing materials (brochures, minicollections, virtual issues, etc.).
- Shares specialty content (author resources, editorials, etc.) and updates regarding editors, journal policies, awards, and events.
- Works closely with the Communications and Marketing Departments.
- Attends scientific conferences. Follows up with potential authors to build a scientific network representative of the journal.
- Establishes expectations for successful submissions in core areas and to improve submission rates.
- Works with the Director of Publications and Assistant Publications Director to develop an editorial strategy for the Society.
- Writes brief summaries of selected articles for technical and non-technical audiences.
- Engages with other ASBMB staff to facilitate distribution/marketing of relevant content.
- Writes special correspondence to authors, editorial board members and editors.
- Edits, proofreads and other support for ongoing projects in a backup role.
- Adapts to shifting responsibilities as needs arise.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and qualifications:
- Ph.D. in biological chemistry/life sciences required.
- Ability to communicate technical content to a broad, multidisciplinary audience.
- Experience disseminating content of peer-reviewed journals preferred.
- Strong writing and editing skills.
- Ability to distill complex information into engaging prose.
- Familiarity with marketing strategies and best practices preferred.
- Fast learner and self-motivated.
- Represent the Society and the Journals in conferences and events.
- Experience in science publishing practices and policies, to best assess new editorial and scientific opportunities.
- Excellent communication, analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to work independently and within a team.
- Position is located to Rockville, MD.
This position offers a competitive salary with exceptional benefits that include a 403(b)-retirement plan; generous paid time off; medical, dental and vision insurance plans; flexible spending; life and short- and long-term disability insurance; and more. Close to metro and bus service with Company sponsored parking.
To apply, please go to www.faseb.org/employment. Attach a cover letter and a resume with salary requirements.
To learn more about ASBMB, please visit www.asbmb.org
ASBMB is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.