The American Society for Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics (ASPET) seeks an experienced executive to serve as their next Executive Officer.
ASPET is a 4,000-member scientific society whose members conduct basic and clinical pharmacological research and work in academia, government, industry, and non-profit organizations. ASPET members conduct research leading to the development of new medicines and therapeutic agents to fight existing and emerging diseases.
ASPET’s mission is to be the professional home for educators, students, researchers, healthcare practitioners, and other working to advance pharmacological sciences and increase the impact and influence of this scientific discipline. ASPET is looking for a highly skilled Executive Officer to help us fulfill this important undertaking. Reporting to the ASPET Council, the Executive Officer will oversee the strategic and operational efficiency of ASPET’s programs and staff. This seasoned leader is expected to stay current with trends in the biomedical research community and the professional development needs of ASPET’s membership. Demonstrated experience managing and hiring staff is essential, and established relationships with the biomedical research community groups is a plus. The successful candidate has demonstrated effectiveness in a leadership role that requires collaboration, clear communication and decisiveness.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Effectively collaborate with ASPET Council to complete business operation, publication, education, and annual meeting plans for the attainment of ASPET strategic goals and objectives set by Council
- Work closely with ASPET Council, Divisions and Committees to identify, assess and communicate issues that impact the Society, and implement the strategic direction set by Council.
- Develop a culturally inclusive and diverse staff, membership and partners whose skills, cultures, and spoken languages reflect the communities ASPET serves while promoting transparency and collaboration throughout the organization
- Serve as the face of the organization to external partners and stakeholders and actively participate in external events, both increasing ASPET’s visibility, credibility, and brand in the market, and developing strategic partnerships in order to advance ASPET’s mission and vision
- Identify and assess the Society’s strategic needs, issues, opportunities, and threats
- Oversee the daily operations of ASPET and the Society’s programs and initiatives, providing executive direction of strategy, compliance, quality assurance, and program deliverables
- Identify and implement staffing requirements for efficient operations, maintaining an effective culture and work climate, and a performance management plan that attracts and retains staff, and drives innovation and the organization’s mission
- Work with staff and Council to oversee all external communication materials including publications, website, marketing materials, newsletters and social media content
- In collaboration with the Chief Financial Officer, review and oversee the financial management of the society, including the annual audit, federal and state filings, and overall financial health of the society.
- Comply with all federal, state, and local legislation.
Skills and Qualifications
- Master’s degree or above in business, human resources, or relevant biomedical science
- 7+ years of senior management experience, preferably with a nonprofit
- Strong public relations, marketing, and fundraising experience
- Demonstrated capability and knowledge of leadership and management principles related to nonprofits
- Proven success working collaboratively with a volunteer member base and board of directors
- Entrepreneurial mindset, with innovative approach to business planning and managing budgets
- Dynamic and charismatic team player who enjoys being the public face of an organization
- Exceptional verbal, written, and visual communication skills
This position offers a competitive salary with exceptional benefits that include a 403(b)-retirement plan; generous paid time off; medical, dental and vision insurance plans; flexible spending; life and short- and long-term disability insurance
This position is located in Rockville, Maryland and in walking distance to the Metro and on major bus lines.
For more information and to apply, visit http://www.faseb.org/employment. Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements. The cover letter should outline how your experience fits the requirements of the position as this will be an important factor in considering your candidacy.
To learn more about ASPET, please visit www.aspet.org
ASPET is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.