The Finance and Accounting Department of Arnold & Porter has an opening for a Billing Specialist. This position may located in the Washington DC office or Tallahassee Operations Center. The Billing Specialist is responsible for managing the account set up, billing arrangements, and account and inventory management for assigned client portfolios. The Specialist develops strong collaborative relationships with the attorneys throughout the billing cycle.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Establishes, fosters, and maintains professional and collaborative relationships with attorneys, staff and clients to ensure compliance with both attorney and client specifications.
- Verifies rates with the rate analysts, reviews and implements the outside counsel guidelines, monitors fee caps, tier discounts and matter budgets; sets up and monitors alerts; communicates with the firm’s Billing & Intake Committee regarding discounts, write-downs, and write-offs.
- Manages the prebill to the final bill process; ensures that billing attorneys receive accurate prebills and that they return their prebills in a timely manner; submits finalized bills/eBills in appropriate template format, adhering to the attorney and client specifications; and confirms the final bills have been submitted to the client and are posted in the accounting system.
- Collaborates with the eBilling Coordinators for new client account set-ups with eBilling requirements; collaborates with Accounting Systems Administrator to update appropriate fields according to client billing guidelines; submits invoices electronically, taking accountability for successful submission and troubleshooting issues; and proactively follows-up regarding acceptance and timely payment of eBills.
- Communicates directly with clients as requested or as established. Concisely communicates arrangements with attorneys and clients on their matters; provides clients with requested information on any special billing arrangements. Responds to all inquiries relating to same.
- Responds to inquiries relating to accruals, audits and payment reports; recommends solutions based on billing trends relating to realization; and prepares ad hoc reports upon request.
- Maintains updated pre-bill status report for assigned portfolio.
- Monitors the unapplied cash report and offers resolution when applicable and assists Accounts Receivable with accurate payment applications. Keeps partners updated on available unapplied and trust funds and applies funds when needed.
- Establishes effective back-up support processes (cross-training and knowledge transfer) to ensure seamless support for all portfolio matters.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or Business discipline preferred or equivalent experience.
- Related experience performing complex accounting analysis utilizing advanced Excel and reporting skills.
- High level of business acumen and ability to multi-task.
- Ability to assess pertinent information and anticipate needs and outcomes.
- Ability to prepare accurate, highly detailed work product and prioritize and manage time effectively.
- Talent for delivering exceptional client service through teamwork and an ability to work independently.
- Ability to exchange information and to present ideas, report facts and other information clearly and concisely.
- Strong initiative to proactively increase value to the position.
- Ability to maintain a high level of confidentiality.
- Strong problem solving skills
- Possess reliability, dependability and motivation.
- Excellent organization and communications skills, both oral and written.
- Flexibility to work additional hours as needed.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP uses E-Verify, which is a web-based system, to confirm the eligibility of our employees to work in the United States. As an E-Verify employer, we verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We use E-Verify because we are a federal contractor containing the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause. Please see the posters for details regarding E-Verify or contact Arnold & Porter’s Human Resources Department for more information. E-Verify Participation Poster and Right-to-work Poster .
Arnold & Porter is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), age, marital or partnership status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family leave status, citizenship status, immigration status, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations. Our firm's equal opportunity policy applies to all employment practices and terms and conditions, including, without limitation, recruitment, employment, assignment, training, compensation, benefits, promotions, disciplinary action and terminations. To achieve our goal of equal opportunity, Arnold & Porter maintains an affirmative action plan through which it makes good faith efforts to recruit, hire and advance in employment qualified minorities, females, individuals with disabilities and protected veterans. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW and the Supplement poster.
Arnold & Porter is an EO Employer - M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.