Maintenance Mechanic I/II
Under close supervision of the Supervisor, Mechanical Maintenance or a senior maintenance mechanic, performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled tasks in the installation, preventive maintenance, emergency repair and operation of water supply facilities consisting of pumping stations, storage tanks and their sites; and portions of the transmission and distribution systems.
Performs maintenance work at various Fairfax Water equipment, facilities, and grounds.
Essential functions include:
- Performs semi-skilled and occasionally skilled maintenance tasks in the installation, maintenance, repair and operation of water supply facilities by:
- Assisting higher-level maintenance mechanics with rebuilding or replacing all types of pumps and equipment and performing predictive and preventive mechanical maintenance to include such work as lubricating, inspecting, and servicing mechanical equipment in accordance with predictive preventive maintenance schedules.
- Assisting in the inspection, repair, rebuilding or replacing of a variety of pressure regulating and control devices to include: pressure reducing, relief, sustaining, air release, flow control, altitude, butterfly and ball valves.
- Maintaining Fairfax Water facilities, grounds, equipment, and office buildings by:
- Assisting with cosmetic and structural maintenance repair, rebuilding or replacing of all types of facilities to include such work as: painting, roofing, welding, floor upkeep, plumbing installation and repair, door and lock replacement, pipe cleaning, dry wall repair, concrete forming and finishing and clean up.
- Performing ground maintenance work such as clean up, mowing grass, landscaping, trimming bushes, and removing trees, leaves, and snow.
- Assisting with the maintenance and repair of a variety of equipment including minor vehicle maintenance, lawn equipment, tractors, chain saws, gas pumps, gas
Graduation from high school or GED and a minimum of one year of mechanical experience in: Pump maintenance and repair or Control valve maintenance and repair or Small engine repair or HVAC installation, maintenance, and repair or Automotive engine and mechanical systems maintenance and repair or completed 2 years of High School Career and Technical Education in Automotive Technology or HVAC or 1-year Certificate in a Science, Technology, Engineering, or Math discipline, or any equivalent combination of education, experience and knowledge. Has used tools and equipment used in building, grounds and mechanical maintenance. Has basic computer knowledge and skills, and the ability to use SAP and GIS programs. Has performed mechanical tasks following oral and written instructions. Has established and maintained effective working relationships with co-workers and supervisors. Ability to work unscheduled hours during emergency and/or unusual situations (24 hours per day, 7 days a week). Ability to work at locations other than the position’s primary duty station. Ability to operate grounds maintenance equipment. Possession of a valid driver's license and good driving record.
“Fairfax Water requires new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to legally required exceptions.”
About Fairfax Water
Fairfax Water is a respected leader in the drinking water industry, supplying drinking water to nearly two million people in the communities of Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Herndon, Vienna, Alexandria, Falls Church, and Fairfax City. We are Virginia’s largest water utility and one of the 25 largest water utilities in the country, serving one of every five Virginians who obtain their water from public utilities. We aim to uphold customer trust by providing water of exceptional quality and reliability at a reasonable price, supporting the high quality of life and economic vitality of Northern Virginia.
To review the full requirements for the position please go to our website at www.fairfaxwater.org and apply online. Fairfax Water offers competitive salaries as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including excellent health insurance, tuition reimbursement, flexible spending accounts, and a defined benefit retirement plan.