Building Services Technician II/III
This position under general supervision from the Supervisor, Building Services performs a variety of semi-skilled and skilled tasks related to the maintenance and repair of assigned buildings, mechanical equipment, and related facilities. This position may also receive technical and functional supervision from the Senior Building Services Technician.
Essential functions include:
- Duties may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Performing skilled building maintenance work involving carpentry, painting, plumbing, and heating/ventilation/air conditioning (HVAC) tasks in the repair and maintenance of assigned buildings, equipment, and facilities.
- Maintaining and repairing mechanical systems such as boilers, air conditioners and other air-cooling systems.
- Maintaining and repairing lighting systems in buildings and other facilities, including parking lots.
- Installing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and repairing electrical systems and a variety of power generators and compressors.
- Readying, testing, and maintain security and fire alarm systems.
- Installing, maintaining, and repairing plumbing fixtures and equipment including toilets, pumps, and faucets.
- Installing and modifying modular furniture configurations including the supply of electricity for said furniture.
- Inspecting various maintenance projects; installing, repairing, and painting sheetrock; building forms and mixing and pouring concrete.
- Inspect and repair doors, locks, windows, floors, lockers, gates, roofs/down spouts/gutters, and ceilings.
- Work collaboratively with outside vendors and contractors in identifying unusual problems and/or maintaining and repairing assigned facilities and buildings.
- Reporting potential safety problems related to assigned buildings and facilities, cleaning up spills and unsafe conditions as identified, locking and unlocking doors of assigned facilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Graduation from high school or GED with four years of increasingly responsible experience performing building maintenance and repair work similar to that of a Building Services Technician I.
- Good knowledge of the principles and practices used in the performance of a variety of skilled building trades work, involving carpentry, general construction, electric, plumbing, painting, and heating/air conditioning systems.
- Good knowledge of the tools and equipment used in a variety of building construction and maintenance trades; use and purpose of general construction tools and equipment.
- Good computer skills related to data entry and retrieval including maintaining records related to work activities.
- Basic principles and practices of record keeping.
- Must be able to perform a variety of skilled building maintenance tasks involving carpentry, general construction, electric, plumbing, painting, and heating/air conditions systems with little supervision.
- Must know and understand building service operations and observe safety rules; intermittently analyze problem equipment; identify and locate equipment; interpret work orders; remember equipment location; and explain jobs to others.
- Must know how to solder and weld to make repairs and fabricate parts.
- Must pass a controlled substance (drug) test for employment.
- “Fairfax Water requires new employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, subject to legally required exceptions.”
About Fairfax Water
Fairfax Water is a respected leader in the drinking water industry, supplying drinking water to nearly two million people in the communities of Fairfax, Loudoun, Prince William, Herndon, Vienna, Alexandria, Falls Church, and Fairfax City. We are Virginia’s largest water utility and one of the 25 largest water utilities in the country, serving one of every five Virginians who obtain their water from public utilities. We aim to uphold customer trust by providing water of exceptional quality and reliability at a reasonable price, supporting the high quality of life and economic vitality of Northern Virginia.
To review the full requirements for the position please go to our website at www.fairfaxwater.org and apply online. Fairfax Water offers competitive salaries as well as a comprehensive benefits package, including excellent health insurance, tuition reimbursement, flexible spending accounts, and a defined benefit retirement plan.