Manager, Performance and Succession Management
Commensurate with education and experience. Web Announcement
Manager, Performance and Succession Management
George Mason University seeks a Manager, Performance and Succession Management, who will develop, implement and evaluate performance management policies that support improving the organizational alignment with performance management and lead succession planning efforts.
In addition to a first class culture at Virginia’s largest Public University, this position offers:
- Potential for flexible telework and hybrid telework scheduling
- Competitive salary
- Outstanding benefits including:
Health & life insurance, multiple industry leading retirement plans available including state VRS Hybrid Plan or Optional Retirement Plan, 24 accrued paid days off per year, paid holidays, paid winter break, paid sick leave, professional development, tuition reimbursement at GMU, and employee assistance programs.
The Manager, Performance and Succession Management expert will support the University mission through the development and implementation of policies, programs, and practices that attract, compensate, retain and reward faculty and staff. Support the growth of a positive workplace culture which promotes engaged leadership and supports the professional and personal development of faculty and staff to facilitate deep engagement and successful performance.
George Mason University has a strong institutional commitment to the achievement of excellence and diversity among its faculty and staff, and strongly encourages candidates to apply who will enrich Mason’s academic and culturally inclusive environment.
About the University:
George Mason University, the largest public research university in Virginia, is an innovative, entrepreneurial institution with national distinction in both academics and research. Mason holds a top U.S. News and World Report “Up and Coming” spot for national universities and is recognized for its global appeal and excellence in higher education.
Since earning R1 designation for “very high research” from Carnegie in 2016 and joining the elite group of the 131 best U.S. research institutions, the research enterprise has grown rapidly, reaching more than $200 million in funding in 2020, an all-time high for the university.
Mason is currently the largest and most diverse university in Virginia with students and faculty from all 50 states and over 135 countries studying in over 200 degree programs at campuses in Arlington, Fairfax, and Prince William, as well as at learning locations across the commonwealth. Rooted in Mason’s diversity, is a campus culture that is both rewarding and exciting, work that is meaningful, and opportunities to both collaborate and create.
- Develop, implement and evaluate performance management policies that support improving the organizational alignment with performance management
- Lead the change leadership necessary to evolve our culture and the behaviors of leaders and employees to move towards this more progressive approach to managing performance
- Assist both internal and external stakeholders with creating team goals and competencies that align with the strategic goals and objectives of the overall organization
- Collaborate with Human Resources to implement the new performance management system plans that produce meaningful, specific, measurable, aligned, realistic and time sensitive objectives and competencies.
- Communicate, train and provide guidance and tools to leaders and employees to accomplish performance objectives
- Conduct facilitation sessions as needed including the development of materials, briefings or other program documentation.
- Develop or revise plans, procedures for performance management as needed
- Participate in evaluations and assessments designed to identify and define issues, review and analyze data, and evaluate/document best practices.
- Suggest recommendations for policy reforms and work closely with the key HR stakeholders to execute the development and implementation of new policies as necessary
- Track program or initiative implementation progress and timelines using project or action planning methods.
- Must have experience with performance management systems
- Must have the ability to design and implement a succession planning strategy for an organization
- Collaborate with Human Resources and other departments to create succession strategies and plans that align with key business objectives.
- Implement procedures for the fair assessment of talent for selection and succession management.
- Coordinate with relevant departments to identify major business unit changes/challenges that are impacting talent management.
- Lead the coordination in conjunction with Human Resources, department managers and key business partners to identify potential key roles/jobs, determine the need of successors, talent pools and identify current incumbents in key positions.
- Brief the key stakeholders on all career and succession planning operation, escalate any issues, and provide reports, as required.
- Evaluate succession planning program metrics and manage the results.
- Partner with Human Resources to ensure alignment and linking of succession plans with other Human Resources initiatives (e.g. retention strategies, sourcing strategies).
- Monitor the assessment of skills and experiences required for unmatched critical positions, and report risk areas, if any, to department managers.
- Build and manage direct reports as needed to lead performance management and succession planning objectives.
Required Qualification / Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Master’s degree in Human Resources Management, Organizational Development or related field required; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Must have active experience with a minimum of 5 years of experience serving in a strategic human capital role with expertise in Performance Management and succession planning.
- Minimum of 5 years of recent performance experience required; be highly skilled with the analysis and implementation of performance management programs.
- Significant experience with Microsoft Office programs (Word, Excel, PP) with comprehensive experience in the design of complex PowerPoint presentations.
- Must have exceptional organizational skills and the ability to juggle multiple priorities.
- Excellent writing skills with specific attention to detail and demonstrated experience drafting polished and professional policies, procedures and communication.
- Excellent attention to detail, analytical, research and demonstrated customer service skills.
- Flexibility with the approach to delivering of work.