Data Warehouse Developer, IT Senior Engineer
Data Warehouse Developer, IT Senior Engineer
Position #: 126674
The Data Warehouse Developer will report directly to the Business Intelligence Manager, Enterprise Data Services (EDS) within the Division of Information Technology (DIT). This is a C2 position which serves as an opportunity to contribute to a strategic initiative to improve data-driven decision-making on campus. The Data Warehouse Developer will be responsible for requirements gathering and data modeling (conceptual, logical and physical) to support the creation of a new Enterprise Data Warehouse (EDW) and data platform. This includes conducting user interviews, facilitating data modeling sessions, writing business and technical requirements, maintaining data models in LucidChart and Confluence, creating DDL and DML scripts as needed and documentation. The Data Warehouse Developer will collaborate with the EDS team on a day-to-day basis and receive technical guidance from the Data Warehouse Architect. The Data Warehouse Developer must have strong command of the SQL query language.The position also requires a solid understanding of data integration as the Data Warehouse Developer will be expected to build out ETL processes to load data into the data warehouse. It is also critical that the Data Warehouse Developer is able to guide non-technical stakeholders through requirements gathering and design sessions. Clear communication, demonstrated organizational skills, the ability to collaborate with nontechnical stakeholders, create clear and concise technical documentation, and make critical decisions are requirements to be successful in this position.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university in computer science, information systems or a related IT discipline
- At least 6 years of experience building out ETL processes
- At least 3 years of experience developing and maintaining large scale, enterprise data warehouse integrations
- At least 6 years of hands-on SQL development experience
- Extensive experience conducting user interviews, facilitating design walk through and guiding customers in developing business and technical requirements
- Experience translating business requirements into technical requirements and serving as a liaison between business and technical team members
- Hands-on experience building reports either using SQL or industry standard BI tools such as Tableau
- At least 4 years of experience building dimensional models
- Ability to communicate clearly, in written or spoken word, with customers and team members.
- Experience working with a common RDBMS platform such as Oracle, SQL Server, Amazon Redshift
- Self-motivated, energetic, detail oriented and a team player
- Experience using JIRA for task tracking and sprint planning
- Experience performing data profiling activities
- Experience with Amazon Redshift or other cloud-based data warehouse technologies
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Repetitive motion. Substantial movements (motions) of the wrists, hands, and/or fingers. The worker is required to have close visual acuity to perform an activity such as: preparing and analyzing data and figures; transcribing; viewing a computer terminal; extensive reading. Must have the ability to walk short distances to attend meetings on campus.
Best consideration date: 10/11/2021 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/87706 [ejobs.umd.edu]
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu [return.umd.edu] and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.