Maintenance Rail Car Trainee
The Maintenance Rail Car staff are mechanics for the WMATA train fleet. They are responsible for the maintenance, inspection, repair, removal, troubleshooting, testing, and calibrations of WMATA trains and equipment. The Maintenance Trainee Rail Car is a student level position leading to graduation from WMATA Technical Skills Program (TSP) and assignment as a C Level Rail Car Mechanic. The incumbent is responsible for satisfactorily completing all formal (i.e. classroom) and on-the-job training assigned over the two year period.
- High School Diploma with two (2) years of Vocational Training in Electrical, Mechanical or Electronics
- In lieu of Vocational Training one (1) year of related work experience in the electrical, mechanical or electronics field may be considered
- With Vocational Training in Electrical, Mechanical or Electronics no prior work experience is required
- Professional/Job-Related Certs:
- Associate's degree, or vocational or technical school degree in in Electrical, Mechanical or Electronics
Satisfactorily complete the medical examination for this position, if required. The incumbent must be able to perform the essential functions of this position either with or without reasonable accommodations.
Mission Essential Designation:
- In accordance with the Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's Continuity of Operations Plan (COOP) this job has been identified as critical to mission essential functions. Incumbents in this role may be required to report to or continue to work in the event of authorized office closings or service suspensions due to severe weather, natural disaster, fire, operational emergencies or related events.
The Maintenance Trainee, Rail Car is a student level position leading to graduation from WMATA Technical Skills Program (TSP) and assignment as a C Level Rail Car Mechanic. The incumbent is responsible for satisfactorily completing all formal (i.e. classroom) and On the Job Training (OJT) assigned over the two (2) year-long TSP program. At all times, the employee will be under the close supervision of Rail Car Mechanics while on OJT.
- Attends formal training classes related to basic, intermediate and advanced rapid transit rail car vehicle maintenance. Gains familiarity with and develops skills in the maintenance, inspection, repair, removal, installation, troubleshooting, testing and calibration of WMATA rail cars vehicles and equipment.
- Under the direct oversight of assigned journey level mechanics, uses hand tools, power tools and test equipment to inspect, diagnose and repair WMATA rail car vehicle vehicles and equipment malfunctions in accordance with safety and maintenance procedures and practices.
- Completes all documentation and reports associated with the operation and maintenance of WMATA rail car vehicles and any required training documentation.
- Provides assistance to supervisors and mechanical staff in emergencies by securing or safeguarding WMATA equipment, fire/life/safety, snow emergencies, etc. according to established safety practices and maintenance guidelines.
The essential duties listed are not intended to limit specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position. Nor is it intended to limit in any way the right of managers and supervisors to assign, direct and control the work of employees under their supervision.
Consideration will be given to applicants whose resumes demonstrate the required education and experience. Applicants should include all relevant education and work experience.
Evaluation criteria may include one or more of the following:
- Skills and/or behavioral assessment
- Personal interview
- Verification of education and experience (including certifications and licenses)
- Criminal Background Check (a criminal conviction is not an automatic bar to employment)
- Medical examination including a drug and alcohol screening (for safety sensitive positions)
- Review of a current motor vehicle report
WMATA is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, status as a protected veteran, or any other status protected by applicable federal law.
This posting is an announcement of a vacant position under recruitment. It is not intended to replace the official job description. Job descriptions are available upon confirmation of an interview.