Director of Maintenance
We invite you to join our leadership team as the Director of Maintenance at Greenbelt Homes. Greenbelt Homes is a housing cooperative located in Greenbelt, MD. In this highly visible role, the Director of Maintenance will report to the General Manager. This position is responsible for managing the day-to-day operations and services of the Maintenance Department; to include all physical aspects of the housing community, coordinating maintenance and repair services, responding to customer service requests, and adhering to all safety policies. The Director of Maintenance will ensure departmental operations are performed in accordance with current federal, state and local standards, guidelines and regulations, policies and procedures, and as may be directed by the General Manager. Requires knowledge of the building trades such as carpentry, plumbing & electrical work, landscape maintenance.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Direct and oversee all aspects of maintenance of the community
- Schedule preventative maintenance, inspections, and janitorial services
- Maintain accurate records for all services performed and contracts
- Walk the property daily to uphold curb appeal and monitor safety issue
- Follow expense guidelines, monitor operating expenses, and make recommendations for cost saving strategies for the cooperative
- Prepare departmental budget annually
- Maintain computerize maintenance management system for tracking work, orders, spare parts, and maintenance histories of plant equipment
- Conduct and document weekly safety meetings including procedures, training, safety equipment, and use of equipment
- Serve as Safety Officer
- Ensure excellent customer service with courteous and professional attitude toward all residents and team member
- Participate in after-hours emergency requests and ensure property staff coverage 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
- Train, coach, and mentor team members, ensuring appropriate training is received
- Create a team environment: hold weekly team meetings; manage by goals, open communication
- Generate work and on-call schedule for service employees
- Manage personnel issues as appropriate including approval of leave and disciplinary action
Bachelor’s degree preferred with five or more years of experience as a supervisor/manager in the building construction and/or maintenance field. In lieu of a Bachelor’s degree, a Master Technician’s certification in one or more of the following trades - electric, plumbing, carpentry, plus ten or more years of experience as a supervisor/manager in the building construction and/or maintenance industry may be substituted. The Director of Maintenance Department should possess the following abilities:
- Knowledge of the building trades such as carpentry, plumbing and electrical work Landscape Maintenance, a plus.
- Must be able to read and interpret blueprints.
- Strong leadership and management skills. Solid business judgment.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be computer literate and proficient with a maintenance management software, Microsoft Word and Microsoft Excel.
- Ability to work constructively and cooperatively with all stakeholders and to coach and mentor others.
- Ability to handle difficult situations and deal effectively with people.
- Good time management skills
- Must be able to handle multiple priorities
The physical demands described here represent those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk and hear, walk, stand, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools or controls, crawl, bend and climb steps and ladders. Must be able to lift up to 65 pounds, reach overhead, and crawl in confined areas. Specific vision abilities required include the ability to make close inspections including poorly lit areas and view computer screens.