Media Relations Manager
Destination DC (DDC) is hiring a media relations manager to join the communications team, focused on the organization’s industry work. The ideal candidate will have 3-5 years of PR experience, be a master writer and be passionate about promoting Washington, DC, specifically focused on a convention and travel trade audience.
The successful applicant will either know or be excited to learn more about the city’s hotels, dining, arts and culture and venues. You will embrace DC’s offerings for a trade audience, which range from meeting planners to event strategists to travel agents and tour operators to sports industry experts.
Ultimately, the media relations manager provides proactive and strategic communications across public relations, marketing assets and content creation to support DDC’s efforts to bring more business and leisure travelers to the nation’s capital.
Join the team of outstanding professionals at DDC, where we offer excellent benefits, an open workplace culture focused on DEI and have fun promoting the city we love.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- The media relations manager is responsible for strategic and proactive media relations to support DDC’s efforts surrounding in markets including: domestic and international convention trade, travel trade (including group and student), sports and the American Experience Foundation (DDC’s 501-c-3 nonprofit).
- Maintain and build relationships with journalists and editors to continue to position Washington, DC as a premier meetings, events and tour group destination and showcase the organization’s leadership on a range of issues relating to destination marketing and all types of travel.
- Develop and maintain convention and travel trade press materials and assist in keeping washington.org/press current.
- Fulfill individual trade, meetings/conventions and travel trade journalist requests including research, fact-checking and trip planning.
- Proactively contact journalists to discuss possible story angles and arrange interviews with DDC representatives. Liaise with Walter E. Washington Convention Center communications staff to pitch convention trade stories.
- Coordinate press tours for groups and individual journalists, including obtaining transportation, accommodations, attraction passes, meals and interviews as needed. Serves as host for journalists.
- Maintain database of travel writers, editors and related media associates.
- Assist in planning and participate in regular press events to highlight organization’s programs and objectives. Maximize DDC presence with media at trade shows.
- The trade media relations manager will work with the Director of Communications, Associate Director of Content Marketing and other team members to create content for washington.org and marketing assets related to trade areas, including generating and writing new content website ideas. Draft and edit trade and industry newsletters. Draft and edit trade and industry publications content. Write and edit advertorial copy. Manage content strategy for DDC’s trade-related social media channels. Develop social content for DDC’s president and CEO’s social channels.
Other duties as assigned
- Support the Director of Communications in corporate communications efforts.
- Participate in applicable media missions and trade shows.
- Manage special projects.
Experience, Competencies & Education
- Three to five (3-5) years of public relations, journalistic or marketing experience;
- Four-year degree from an academic institution in public relations, journalism, marketing or communications required.
- Excellent oral and written skills including a command of English grammar, usage and vocabulary.
- Strong attention to detail and proofreading
- Position may include travel and employee is required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
- Experience with PowerPoint presentations and Microsoft Office software.
- Hospitality industry experience a plus
- Relies on experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals.
To Apply: Submit cover letter, resume and work samples to https://www.washington.org/careers
DESTINATION DC IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER