- Full Time
• Graduation from a college or university with major course work in business administration, human resources, or benefits administration, plus three years experience in providing benefits services (including retirement counseling) to employees; or an equivalent combination of training, education and experience.
• Certification as an Employee Benefits Specialist (CEBS).
• Experience administering a variety of benefit programs (to include Retirement) in a K-12 organization
• Knowledge of the Virginia Retirement System (VRS) plan administration
• Experience in preparing and responding to state, federal, and third party auditing
• Bi-Lingual in Spanish
• Expert experience using Oracle and Microsoft Excel applications
Human Resources announces an opening for the position of Benefits Specialist, effective immediately. This is a twelve-month position, Grade E-07.
This is a professional position with responsibility for performing technical and administrative work in providing benefits services to employees and retirees of the Arlington Public Schools. The incumbent works under the supervision of the Director of Employee Relations.
• Meets with prospective retirees to provide information on retirement, calculate retirement estimates, and prepare paperwork for submission to the State and/or County.
• Provides staff support for the Individual Early Retirement program.
• Provides information about disability retirement and long term disability; assists with the preparation of the necessary paperwork and coordinates with the Employee Assistance Program staff.
• Provides information to eligible employees, retirees and survivors about the basic life insurance, optional life insurance and Long-Term Care programs.
• Completes reports and surveys as requested, and prepares informational materials on assigned program areas.
• Responds to questions about assigned areas from administrators, employees, State and County officials, contractors, retirees, etc.
• Knowledge of APS policies and programs, and of the laws, regulations, rules, procedures and practices pertaining to retirement, life and long term disability insurance, and classification programs.
• Experience using computer programs, including Access, Excel, Word, etc.
• Ability to understand, interpret and follow detailed and complex instructions, guidelines, and federal regulations and to perform detailed work quickly and accurately.
• Ability to work under pressure and to meet deadlines with strong time management skills.
• Ability to deal successfully with problems, problematic situations in a confidential, courteous and tactful manner.
• Ability to maintain effective working relationships clientele, co-workers, higher level officials, contractors and State and County staff.
• Excellent communication skills.
Candidates must submit an application on-line and attach a resume, and a written statement of interest in and qualifications for this position. Please complete the on-line Administrative/Technical application on the JOBS website: www.apsva.us. A minimum of three letters of recommendation must also be attached.
APPLICATION PACKET, INCLUDING ALL REQUIRED MATERIAL, MUST BE SUBMITTED ON-LINE BY Tuesday, September 28, 2021.
If you would like to apply to this position please follow these steps.
1. Log into your application and select the appropriate application (Current APS employees interested in transferring must select the Employee Transfer Application.) If you are a new online application user, please register with the online system, then proceed to Step 2.
2. Login to your application, select the appropriate application, click the Start Application button at the bottom of the page.
3. Click the Continue/Save button at the bottom of each web page until you reach the Employment Openings page of the application.
4. On the Employment Openings page, click the Add Job button.
5. Select the position you would like to apply for from the drop down list.
6. Click the Add Another button to add a different position to your application or if you have finished click the Continue button and proceed to Step 7.
7. Once you have finished selecting the job(s) click the Continue button at the bottom of each web page and submit the application. (You will need to complete the Applicant Testimony and Applicant's Authorization Statement every time you re-submit your application.)
8. Click the Submit button on the left.
9. Click the Submit Application button to finish applying for an APS position(s).
10. Please do not contact individual schools regarding vacancies.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: It is the policy of the Arlington School Board, as stated in the School Board Policy G-2.30, that employment opportunities shall not be restricted, abridged or otherwise adversely affected on the basis of race, national origin, creed, color, religion, gender, age, economic status, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, pregnancy status, veteran status, gender identity or expression, and/or disability.
Please follow the instructions listed above.
Salary Range $63,655 to $95,874 (2021-22 Salary Schedule)
FROM - TO -
Apply for BENEFITS SPECIALIST
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly