NOC Jr. Engineer, IT Network Engineer
4 days left
- Full Time
NOC Jr. Engineer, IT Network Engineer
Position #: 09130715
This position is responsible for maintaining optimum performance of the University’s network to include both wired and wireless infrastructure.
In addition, the position will perform routine testing and analysis of all elements of the network infrastructure including power, software, network equipment, remote, and broadband network equipment. This position will utilize software and hardware tools to identify and diagnose problems and factors affecting the network performance.
The campus network is a converged network that requires disciplined support and a strong propensity towards IT project management. A good understanding of campus Network Operations Center (NOC) functions along with an expertise to utilize network management systems is critical.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE
Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university; or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience.
3-4 years of demonstrated experience in enterprise data networks, and utilization of a network management system is needed.
- Ability to demonstrate a strong knowledge of and support for a predominately Cisco environment, a working knowledge of network testing equipment, and familiarity with campus wiring, including fiber optics.
- Knowledge of the various transports such as Gigabit Ethernet, TLS, and DWDM.
- Familiarity with wireless (802.11) authentication, security and IOS, Cisco IOSsoftware and Catalyst OS interfaces, Windows OS, Mac OS and user level familiarity with Unix OS.
- Experience with providing coverage for the campus Network Operations Center (NOC) call handling, troubleshooting, administration systems including, trouble ticketing system (ServiceNow), network management system (Spectrum), logging platform (Splunk) and work order system (Pinnacle).
- Experience with electrical power and with supporting a large wireless network system.
- Willing to work different shifts between the hours of 6 AM and 10:00 PM. Willing to work occasional on-call shifts.
Additional certifications: CCNA preferred, but not required. Other network certifications are highly desirable.
Additional information: this position does not provide sponsorship for visas.
Physical demands: incumbent will be required to perform “on-call” duties required to maintain various networks. Some stress factors may be involved due to the nature of the operation and the complexity of duties. This job requires the ability to install networking equipment that includes climbing ladders, lifting network equipment, working with hand tools, and accessing mechanical rooms. Some jobs may require the use of a hard hat, vest and steel/composite toe work boots.
Best consideration date: 10/06/2021 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/87234 [ejobs.umd.edu]
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu [return.umd.edu] and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment.