Assistant Manager of Research Services
The Research Services Department of Arnold & Porter has an opening for an Assistant Manager of Research Services to join our energetic, creative, and service-oriented global team. This position may be located in any one of the Firm’s domestic offices (Washington DC, New York, Chicago, Los Angeles, San Francisco, Silicon Valley, Houston or Denver). Under the direction of the Manager of Research Services, the Assistant Manager of Research Services works as part of the management team to develop research services and to provide expert, customized research service. The incumbent assists the Manager with project management and oversight of Research Services, taking the lead on the coordination of daily research and other activities, as assigned.
Essential responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Working with the Manager of Research Services to manage unit services and to develop and document processes, procedures and other best practices to support unit activities; serves as main point of contact in the Manager’s absence.
- Indirectly supervising the Senior Research Analyst(s), Research Analyst(s), and Legislative Analyst and directly supervising the Research Coordinator.
- Serving as the primary coordinator in areas designated by the Manager; such as centralized, on-demand research activities and the onboarding and training of lateral attorneys, as well as summer and fall associates.
- Performing reference and research services across a wide range of subject areas using a variety of print and electronic resources, including free and fee-based databases and web sites.
- Serving as a liaison to practice groups and other designated constituencies to offer targeted research, training, and product support, and serving as the department’s expert in select subjects, industries, or types of research.
- Participating in collection development activities, reviewing resources, products, and tools, making recommendations as appropriate, and promoting their use.
- Assisting with current awareness services; developing requests, monitoring results, creating and maintaining targeted current awareness alerts and feeds.
- Establishing relationships and serving as a liaison internally with users and other designated individuals, and externally, with vendors and colleagues.
- Maintaining current knowledge of developments in the delivery of research services; including technologies and resources relevant to the Firm’s practice.
- Sharing knowledge by contributing to internal knowledge sharing systems, reporting at meetings, teaching, and other means.
- Promoting the services of the Department firmwide.
- Participating and/or leading special projects as assigned.
- Master’s in Library Science or equivalent degree from an ALA accredited school.
- Minimum of three years of progressively responsible experience, including significant experience in a law firm or corporate information center. Law firm experience is strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, implement and manage both short-term and on-going projects involving resources and staff.
- Thorough knowledge of research methodology and print and electronic resources and tools in the areas of law relevant to the firm’s practices.
- Advanced understanding of database research and the technologies associated with it.
- Demonstrated proficiency making cost-effective use of a wide range of print and online resources, such as Westlaw, Lexis Advance, Bloomberg BNA and Wolters Kluwer.
- Familiarity with library and law Firm technologies, including software and products used for communication, research and knowledge sharing.
- Excellent organization and interpersonal skills, with the ability to forge relationships with management, colleagues and a diverse clientele.
- Excellent business writing and communication skills, including in person, chat, email, and remote settings.
- Strong critical thinking and analytical skills, including the ability to analyze, evaluate and synthesize information from a variety of sources to solve problems effectively.
- Ability to make sound decisions and demonstrate a high degree of trustworthiness in handling confidential and sensitive information.
- Self-motivated, resourceful, and creative, with the ability to work in a fast-paced environment while exhibiting a strong attention to detail.
- Exceptional client service both internal and external.
- Ability and desire to seek out challenges and capitalize on new opportunities as well as be a change agent and drive new Firm initiatives.
- Proficiency in Windows operating systems and Microsoft Office Suite and/or related software.
- Flexibility to work additional hours, as necessary.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), age, marital or partnership status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family leave status, citizenship status, immigration status, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP endeavors to make www.arnoldporter.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Director of Support Staff Stephanie Denmark at +1 202.942.6068. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please click here. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW and the Supplement poster.
Arnold & Porter is an EO Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP uses E-Verify, which is a web-based system, to confirm the eligibility of our employees to work in the United States. As an E-Verify employer, we verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We use E-Verify because we are a federal contractor containing the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause. Please see the posters for details regarding E-Verify or contact Arnold & Porter’s Human Resources Department for more information. E-Verify Participation Poster and Right-to-work Poster.