Media Relations Manager
The Marketing Department of Arnold & Porter has an opening for a Media Relations Manager in the Washington, DC office. The Media Relations Manager will be responsible for increasing visibility around our core Industry Groups and leading practices by building additional awareness of our key partners, capabilities and unique offerings at the intersection of regulatory, litigation and transactional expertise.
The ideal candidate will have a minimum of eight years of media relations and communications experience, preferably with a law firm, media outlet or professional services organization. This individual is passionate about media relations, extraordinarily proactive and self-motivated, highly comfortable working with and counseling firm partners and senior-level staff, and excited to join a fast-paced team that works on some of the highest profile, most exciting issues.
Applicants should submit a cover letter and resume for consideration.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Helping to create, develop, plan and execute communications strategies as a member of the Media Relations team.
- Obtaining placements in appropriate media outlets, based on strategic plans and proactive opportunities, that will raise visibility of the firm and its Industry Groups/practice areas and partners in the media.
- Developing and cultivating relationships with appropriate press contacts at relevant legal, business, policy, and technology publications. To include international, national and regional media.
- Developing effective relationships with partners earning their trust and respect and ability to collaborate on proactive media opportunities.
- Preparing partners for media interviews and actively participates in meetings with key reporters; provides partners with substantive feedback following media interviews.
- Writing communication materials such as press releases, media pitches, byline articles, pre-briefing documents, social media posts, etc.
- Working closely with Business Development and Brand/Editorial Content teams to identify areas of cross collaboration on industry trends, information on matters, and newsworthy client work that we can promote.
- Supporting strategy around internal and crisis communications where needed.
- Four-year college degree required.
- A minimum of eight years of media relations and strategic communications experience, preferably at a law firm, media outlet or professional services organization.
- Ability to provide high-level media relations counsel to attorneys and professional staff on key industry sectors.
- Experience with relevant sectors including Life Sciences; Financial Services; Consumer Products and Retail; Technology, Telecommunications and Media; and Aerospace, Defense and National Security.
- Has strong relationships with key media contacts in the legal, business, policy and tech sector and proven ability to build new relationships.
- Ability to write and pitch story ideas, client wins, thought leadership, op-eds and brand profile in targeted media outlets.
- Strong news sense and understanding of what it takes to generate impactful media coverage and how to measure ROI.
- Experience in developing and successfully executing communications plans.
- Comfortable interacting with and counseling partners and senior-level employees.
- Passion for tracking industry trends and activities in order to provide attorneys and firm leadership with fresh ideas on content development and distribution.
- Digital and social media savvy.
- Excellent organizational skills; ability to successfully prioritize multiple demands and meet deadlines under pressure.
- Team player and ability to work in fast-paced, high-profile environment.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex (which includes pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), age, marital or partnership status, familial status, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, transgender, physical or mental disability, medical condition, family leave status, citizenship status, immigration status, ancestry, genetic information, military or veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to any characteristic protected by local, state, or federal laws, rules, or regulations.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP endeavors to make www.arnoldporter.com accessible to any and all users. If you would like to contact us regarding the accessibility of our website or need assistance completing the application process, please contact Director of Support Staff Stephanie Denmark at +1 202.942.6068. This contact information is for accommodation requests only and cannot be used to inquire about the status of applications.
For our EEO Policy Statement, please click here. If you would like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click EEO is the LAW and the Supplement poster.
Arnold & Porter is an EO Employer – M/F/Veteran/Disability/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
Arnold & Porter Kaye Scholer LLP uses E-Verify, which is a web-based system, to confirm the eligibility of our employees to work in the United States. As an E-Verify employer, we verify the identity and employment eligibility of newly hired employees by electronically matching information provided by employees on the Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification, against records available to the Social Security Administration (SSA) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). We use E-Verify because we are a federal contractor containing the Federal Acquisition Regulation (FAR) E-Verify clause. Please see the posters for details regarding E-Verify or contact Arnold & Porter’s Human Resources Department for more information. E-Verify Participation Poster and Right-to-work Poster.