Senior Research Analyst (Public Policy)
The American Academy of Actuaries, a 19,500+ member professional association, is seeking an experienced Senior Research Analyst. Under the supervision of the Assistant Director for Research, the Senior Research Analyst assists the Assistant Director in conducting research and conducts research on their own on public policy issues involving financial risk and financial security. This includes reviews of relevant literature, research design, data collection, analysis and report writing.
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director for Research, the Analyst will prepare research papers, white papers, issue briefs and other written communications on a variety of topics of importance to the Academy and its stakeholders. The Senior Analyst may also provide ongoing support for the management of the Academy’s research projects. This includes tracking project status, preparing for meetings, conference calls, and webinars; and coordinating internal and external partners.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Under the supervision of the Assistant Director:
- Conducts background research and analysis to explore the feasibility of new potential projects.
- Extracts, collects and aggregates data across databases, information sources, survey responses, and other data sources; ensures data quality; cleans and checks exiting data for consistency and accuracy.
- Using a wide variety of statistical techniques, describes and analyses relevant data, and drafts and assists in drafting written products, including research reports, white papers, issue briefs, and comment letters.
- Contributes professional expertise and experience concerning public policies relevant to the identification and management of financial risk, including all areas of actuarial practice.
- Track project timeline, deliverables, and internal/external partners across multiple projects, proactively communicating progress and potential challenges to the Assistant Director.
- Maintains Research Committee membership lists and works with Assistant Director to schedule calls as necessary.
- Gathers, packages and distributes content for the approximately quarterly meetings of the Research Committee.
EDUCATION AND TRAINING/EXPERIENCE:
- Ph.D. degree in the social sciences (or a field related to the study of financial risk);
- A minimum of two years’ experience working with quantitative data and statistical analysis;
- Familiarity with public policy issues dealing with economics, finance or insurance and;
- Strong experience with Excel, including the ability to perform V-lookups and create Pivot tables, and some experience with SAS or R or other statistical software.
The Academy offers a professional and intellectually challenging work environment, competitive compensation and comprehensive benefits. Send resume with cover letter and salary requirements to HR Mgr., American Academy of Actuaries, 1850 M Street, NW, Suite 300, Washington, DC, 20036 or EMAIL HR@actuary.org. *Please indicate where you noticed the job posting. View the Academy’s website at www.actuary.org.
Apply for Senior Research Analyst (Public Policy)
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly