With approximately 25,000 members, the American Educational Research Association (AERA) is the largest national professional organization devoted to the scientific study of education and learning. Founded in 1916, AERA advances knowledge about education, encourages scholarly inquiry related to education, and promotes the use of research to improve education and serve the public good.
AERA seeks a Communications Associate with wide-ranging expertise in and a passion for communications to advance AERA and the field of education research. The ideal candidate is a dedicated professional with a strong interest in AERA and education research, and in writing, social media, and web and digital communication. They will be an integral part of a two-person communications team and will have the opportunity to contribute to strategic communications planning, programming, and messaging designed to advance the association and the field.
In their role, they will develop and maintain AERA website and microsite content; create compelling and engaging social media posts; write, edit, and disseminate news and information about AERA to association members and other audiences; develop and edit website graphics and video content; track website, social media, and other communications analytics; work collaboratively with AERA staff to promote AERA-related content, publications, programs, and public positions; and help coordinate and promote media and public events.
The Communications Associate works with the Director of Communications and other staff to:
- Write, edit, and disseminate news releases, newsletter stories, statements, advisories, fact sheets, and other materials related to education research, science and education policy, and AERA publications and events.
- Lay out and distribute AERA’s monthly newsletter and other communications e-blasts.
- Develop and maintain AERA website and microsite content, including basic graphics.
- Create and manage AERA social media content calendar on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube.
- Use social listening tools and generate analytics reports for the AERA website, email campaigns, social media, and other communications.
- Attend and live-tweet AERA events and provide photo coverage.
- Liaise with researchers and university PR staff to edit videos of authors of AERA journal articles.
- Develop and manage outreach and attendee lists, draft and disseminate marketing messages, and assist with logistics for AERA events.
- Manage press registration for AERA’s annual meeting, and organize and staff the press room.
- Respond to questions and triage inquiries from AERA members and the public through various communications channels.
Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university required. Relevant fields include journalism, communications, public relations, English, marketing, and mass media; or a branch of education, public policy, social science or other science, or the liberal arts with relevant experience in communications. Knowledge of education research, social science, or science in general is a plus.
Other desired qualifications include:
- At least three years’ relevant experience in communications, journalism, or marketing.
- Excellent writing, editing, and interpersonal skills. Experience with journalistic writing, a demonstrated news sense, and knowledge of AP style.
- Demonstrated ability to translate complex policy or research content into digestible, accessible communication for lay audiences.
- Demonstrated experience developing content for websites, emails, and social media and managing an organization’s presence across channels. Experience live-tweeting events.
- Knowledge of web content management systems; a basic understanding of HTML; and a working knowledge of user experience, search engine optimization, and website best practices.
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Meltwater, and/or similar tools for managing and analyzing digital communications.
- Experience building outreach lists through tools such as Leadership Connect, and marketing events to diverse audiences.
- Experience in basic graphic design, video editing, and photography.
- Experience working with vendors in the production of communications pieces and dissemination of news and information.
- Excellent collaboration skills, particularly in soliciting and incorporating critique and feedback from multiple stakeholders, and ability to work independently.
- Detail orientation, excellent judgment, and highly organized work style.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and two relevant writing samples to Human Resources, Attention: Communications Director, at email@example.com. Include Communications Associate in the email subject line. Salary and benefits are commensurate with experience and background. AERA has an excellent benefits program and a competitive salary structure.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The American Educational Research Association provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment.
Apply for Communications Associate
Already uploaded your resume? Sign in to apply instantly